Towards Carfree Cities IX conference: York, England, 28 June to 1 July 2010

  • Simon Field
    Message 1 of 1 , May 20 10:54 AM
      With apologies to those of you who have already read this elsewhere:

      Towards Carfree Cities IX: How Do We Get There?
      York, United Kingdom: 28 June to 1 July 2010

      The
      goal of the Towards Carfree Cities conference series is to promote
      alternatives to car-oriented urban and transport planning, with a focus
      on strategy, collaboration and exchange to assist the practical work of
      conference participants, from organising carfree days to planning the
      carfree cities of the future.

      Coming to the UK for the first
      time, this year's conference is hosted by Carfree UK, with the support
      of The Co-operative Membership, York City Council, Cycle Heaven of
      York, Stockholm Environment Institute - York, and others. It will focus
      on bringing carfree communities to life, considering a range of
      strategies from temporary events to permanent road space reallocation
      to promoting European models of new carfree development.

      Also on the menu:

      * Carfree city visions;
      * Visualising a carfree quarter;
      * Planning for the needs of carfree residents;
      * The Quick and the Dead: a History of the Pedestrian;
      * Designing walkable environments;
      * The psychology of car dependence;
      * Social marketing and behavioural change;
      * How to win the arguments for less car use;
      * Engaging with planners and politicians;
      * Where next for carfree campaigning and research?

      See http://www.worldcarfree.net/conference/programme_full.php for full programme details.

      Register now to be part of this year's must-see progressive planning and transport event:
      http://www.worldcarfree.net/conference/regform.php.

      STOP
      PRESS: We have just received news of a promotion from the train company
      operating between London, York and Scotland. Book by 24 May and travel
      for £9 each way, subject to availability:
      http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/nine?WT.dcsvid=Mzk4NTM3OTM3MwS2&WT.mc_id=

      We look forward to seeing you in York this summer!

      Regards,

      The TCC IX organising committee.

      --
      TOWARDS CARFREE CITIES IX