Sustainable Transport and Development

    Message 1 of 3 , May 13 7:18 AM
      Important article in the Atlantic...a quote:

      > Although building the infrastructure that supports dense
      > development seems expensive, in the long run it�s actually much
      > cheaper than conventional suburban infrastructure�at most one-tenth
      > the cost per home. A mile of sewer line costs about the same to
      > build whether it is on the metropolitan fringe or in a densely
      > built inner suburb, but the line serves many more people in the
      > inner suburb. And households in walkable urban areas use
      > considerably less energy, in some instances at least a third less.
      > High-density living even appears to spur faster rates of
      > innovation; in a knowledge economy, ideas come faster and can be
      > developed more quickly when more people can meet and mix easily.
      >
      > But most immediately, investment in rail, bike, and walking
      > infrastructure, laying the groundwork for developing the kind of
      > housing that is now in demand, is essential if we want to restore
      > the economy to health. In the mid-to-late 20th century, the growth
      > of the suburbs propelled America�s economy. Growth of walkable
      > neighborhoods in cities and suburbs can play a similar role in the
      > decades to come, sparking growth in the broader economy�but only if
      > we start preparing today.

      A link:

      http://bit.ly/9yIGiG

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Hayduke
      Message 2 of 3 , May 13 7:45 AM
        on 5/13/10 7:18 AM, Richard Risemberg at rickrise@... wrote:

        But we don't want, and the Earth cannot sustain "growth in the broader
        economy."

        Michael
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13 10:07 AM
          On May 13, 2010, at 7:45 AM, Hayduke wrote:

          > But we don't want, and the Earth cannot sustain "growth in the broader
          > economy."

          Still, that sells the infrastructure changes that can make survival
          possible. Once livable, dense housing/commerce is in place (you'll
          need commerce, unless you want to go back to subsistence farming,
          which has not been an environmental success anywhere), you then have
          the possibility of building towards a carfree society centered
          primarily on local economies.

          You can't get the social changes first if they're impossible to
          survive because of bad design!

          RR