bitter lesson

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2010
      Hi All,

      Many of you probably read in Carfree Times #44 (December 2006) about the car crash that put both of my parents in the hospital and my mother on a ventilator.

      http://www.carfree.com/cft/i044.html

      At that time, we had high hopes that she would eventually be able to come off the vent and return to a more or less normal life. This was, alas, not to be. She lived three-and-a-half years on the vent. In the early years, she had extended periods of time with a reasonable quality of life, punctuated by midnight runs to the hospital. She never again lived at home.

      On the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, she died after six months during which she suffered from multiple illnesses. She has donated her body to medical education.

      She was a remarkable woman of many talents and important achievements. The newspaper where she worked for two decades published an obituary yesterday:

      <http://www.northjersey.com/obituaries/042610_Ann_Crawford_former_Record_reporter_and_columinst_dies_at_83.html>http://www.northjersey.com/obituaries/042610_Ann_Crawford_former_Record_reporter_and_columinst_dies_at_83.html

      The ravages of this experience nearly stopped Carfree Design Manual in its tracks, but I was finally able to get it to press a year ago. I have otherwise been severely restricted in terms of time, energy, and freedom to travel during this period. My father is still living but suffers from advanced dementia and Parkinson's disease. It does not seem likely that, especially with my mother gone, he will live very much longer.

      I am, thus, hoping to get back in the saddle fairly soon. The first task may be to write a book on the unsustainable nature of the American way of death.

      I regret having been of less use to the carfree movement these past years than might otherwise have been the case.

      I look forward to seeing many of you at the Towards Carfree Cities conference in York, England at the end of June, where I am scheduled to speak:

      http://www.worldcarfree.net/conference/

      Best regards and stay safe,

      Joel

      J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities