The Take It Down Department

  • Eric Britton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2010
      Robert Moskowitz, who follows matters of transportation and public policy
      with interest from Los Angeles, and who periodically shares with World
      Streets information, clues and comments on matters of old and new mobility,
      poses the following for our consideration this morning:

      "I've noticed there's a whole infrastructure in our cities in charge of
      putting up stop signs, traffic lights, and the like, but no infrastructure
      in charge of taking them down when they've outlived their usefulness. If I
      were a traffic scientist, I would have studied and published on these
      topics. But I had no standing and no time to have more than opinions."

      Reflecting on Robert's suggestion, it seems obvious that there is no
      possibility that any city or nation, or person for that matter, can have
      even a chance of moving seriously toward sustainability, without
      specifically reversing a lot of past decisions, investments, and physical
      facts of everyday life.

      So if that is true -- it is, isn't it? - it is something that presidents,
      governors, mayors and anyone else in the political establishment should be
      aware of and ready to engage. Anywhere on this planet.

      Nest step: World Streets would very much like to do one or more articles on
      anything that resembles a Take It Down Department that you might be able to
      point us to. It would be a great contribution.

      The Editor

    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2010
        Dear Eric

        In UK there¹s been a government appointed body headed for the last couple of
        years by Mike Bichard focused on Œtaking down¹ central government regulatory
        controls on local government, called Œreducing the burden¹.

        Best wishes

        Simon

        Simon & Linda Baddeley
        208 Democracy Street (29 Mar-11 May 2010)
        Ano Korakiana, Corfu
        Greece
        Greek mobile:+30 6981758522
        In emergency UK mobile: 07581 071507