Re: [carfree_cities] La Hood Announces "Equality for non-motorized transport"

  • Jon Koller
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2010
      Actual changes below: This is totally unreal. What a day.

      -Jon
      www.spauldingcourt.com

      - The scope of the metropolitan planning process "will address the
      following factors�(2) Increase the safety for motorized and *non-motorized
      users*; (3) Increase the security of the transportation system for
      motorized and *non-motorized users*; (4) Protect and enhance the
      environment, promote energy conservation, improve the quality of life�" 23
      CFR 450.306(a). See 23 CFR 450.206 for similar State requirements.
      - Metropolitan transportation plans "�shall, at a minimum,
      include�existing and proposed transportation facilities (including major
      roadways, transit, multimodal and intermodal facilities, *pedestrian
      walkways and bicycle facilities*, and intermodal connectors that should
      function as an integrated metropolitan transportation system�" 23 CFR
      450.322(f). See 23 CFR 450.216(g) for similar State requirements.
      - The plans and transportation improvement programs (TIPs) of all
      metropolitan areas "shall provide for the development and integrated
      management and operation of transportation systems and facilities (including
      *accessible pedestrian walkways and bicycle transportation facilities*)."
      23 U.S.C. 134(c)(2) and 49 U.S.C. 5303(c)(2). 23 CFR 450.324(c) states that
      the TIP "shall include �trails projects, pedestrian walkways; and bicycle
      facilities�"
      - 23 CFR 450.316(a) states that "The MPOs shall develop and use a
      documented participation plan that defines a process for
      providing�representatives of users of *pedestrian walkways and bicycle
      transportation facilities, and representatives of the disabled*, and
      other interested parties with reasonable opportunities to be involved in the
      metropolitan planning process." 23 CFR 450.210(a) contains similar language
      for States. See also 23 U.S.C. 134(i)(5), 135(f)(3), 49 U.S.C. 5303(i)(5),
      and 5304(f)(3) for additional information about participation by interested
      parties.