La Hood Announces "Equality for non-motorized transport"

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15 3:28 PM
      Apparently, Ray L Hood has announced a new policy giving cycling and
      walking equal weight in US planning guidlines:

      http://ow.ly/1lkkO

      > I want to announce a sea change. People across America who value
      > bicycling should have a voice when it comes to transportation
      > planning. This is the end of favoring motorized transportation at
      > the expense of non-motorized.
      >
      > We are integrating the needs of bicyclists in federally-funded road
      > projects. We are discouraging transportation investments that
      > negatively affect cyclists and pedestrians. And we are encouraging
      > investments that go beyond the minimum requirements and provide
      > facilities for bicyclists and pedestrians of all ages and abilities.
      >
      > To set this approach in motion, we have formulated key
      > recommendations for state DOTs and communities:
      >
      > * Treat walking and bicycling as equals with other transportation
      > modes.
      > * Ensure convenient access for people of all ages and abilities.
      > * Go beyond minimum design standards.
      > * Collect data on walking and biking trips.
      > * Set a mode share target for walking and bicycling.
      > * Protect sidewalks and shared-use paths the same way roadways are
      > protected (for example, snow removal)
      > * Improve nonmotorized facilities during maintenance projects.

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Jon Koller
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15 7:13 PM
        Actual changes below: This is totally unreal. What a day.

        -Jon
        www.spauldingcourt.com

        - The scope of the metropolitan planning process "will address the
        following factors�(2) Increase the safety for motorized and *non-motorized
        users*; (3) Increase the security of the transportation system for
        motorized and *non-motorized users*; (4) Protect and enhance the
        environment, promote energy conservation, improve the quality of life�" 23
        CFR 450.306(a). See 23 CFR 450.206 for similar State requirements.
        - Metropolitan transportation plans "�shall, at a minimum,
        include�existing and proposed transportation facilities (including major
        roadways, transit, multimodal and intermodal facilities, *pedestrian
        walkways and bicycle facilities*, and intermodal connectors that should
        function as an integrated metropolitan transportation system�" 23 CFR
        450.322(f). See 23 CFR 450.216(g) for similar State requirements.
        - The plans and transportation improvement programs (TIPs) of all
        metropolitan areas "shall provide for the development and integrated
        management and operation of transportation systems and facilities (including
        *accessible pedestrian walkways and bicycle transportation facilities*)."
        23 U.S.C. 134(c)(2) and 49 U.S.C. 5303(c)(2). 23 CFR 450.324(c) states that
        the TIP "shall include �trails projects, pedestrian walkways; and bicycle
        facilities�"
        - 23 CFR 450.316(a) states that "The MPOs shall develop and use a
        documented participation plan that defines a process for
        providing�representatives of users of *pedestrian walkways and bicycle
        transportation facilities, and representatives of the disabled*, and
        other interested parties with reasonable opportunities to be involved in the
        metropolitan planning process." 23 CFR 450.210(a) contains similar language
        for States. See also 23 U.S.C. 134(i)(5), 135(f)(3), 49 U.S.C. 5303(i)(5),
        and 5304(f)(3) for additional information about participation by interested
        parties.