Riding the bus changes her view

  • rickrise@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2010
      This story was sent to you by: rick

      A little condescending, but actually pretty good for the LA Times....

      --------------------
      Riding the bus changes her view
      --------------------

      A self-described 'snob' makes the switch to public transit. Though frustrating, it proves enriching in ways she never expected.

      By Ari B. Bloomekatz

      February 27 2010

      The first time Jacquelyn Carr decided to take a bus in Los Angeles, she felt as if she were navigating a new world.

      The complete article can be viewed at:
      http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bus-snob27-2010feb27,0,7122671.story

      Visit latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com
    • Sheila
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
        Good article but it gets a bit rickety at times.
        I would love to see profiles of bus riders. In
        our county riders range from a Chair of Academic
        Department who owns and operates a ranch with her
        husband, to folks struggling with homelessness
        and really, everything in between. Our transit
        system really is far reaching. Most folks mention
        pocketbook savings as a reason for riding. I
        push the environmental aspet of bus riding versus
        car driving.
        -Sheila

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, rickrise@... wrote:

        > This story was sent to you by: rick
        >
        > A little condescending, but actually pretty good for the LA Times....
        >
        > --------------------
        > Riding the bus changes her view
        > --------------------
        >
        > A self-described 'snob' makes the switch to public transit. Though frustrating, it proves enriching in ways she never expected.
        >
        > By Ari B. Bloomekatz
        >
        > February 27 2010
        >
        > The first time Jacquelyn Carr decided to take a bus in Los Angeles, she felt as if she were navigating a new world.
        >
        > The complete article can be viewed at:
        > http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bus-snob27-2010feb27,0,7122671.story
        >
        > Visit latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com

      • Steve Atlas
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2010
          I enjoyed the article. It was great because it showed how a reluctant transit rider learned to appreciate riding the bus.

          One thought: we need to think about why taking the bus makes sense, even for those of us who still drive. On March 1, I celebrated my 65th birthday (actually on Feb. 22) by buying a monthly transit pass for Baltimore's MTA buses (40 cents extra for express buses), subway and light rail. Many transit systems offer reduced fares to people 65 and older. In Baltimore, a senior monthly pass cost $16.50, and a one-day pass costs $1.20 for unlimited travel for that day.

          Monday, I took my local bus to a shopping mall where parking has always been a problem. And, when I got off the bus, I didn't even go to the mall. Instead, as a pedestrian, I discovered a used book store (that also has writing groups, open mikes, and other activities) and a used record and CD store. I would never have found these places in the car, because--as a driver--my goal was simply to find parking at the mall and go there.
          I recommend the bus as a means to discover places you would overlook in the car, and also to eliminate parking hassles.

          I don't know about you, but here in Baltimore, parking at a train station can be expensive--and you may not always find a parking space. This morning, I walked to my corner. For just $.40 (+ my bus pass), I had a pleasant ride to the train station--and enjoyed a good walk too.

          Obviously, taking public transit isn't always practical (for grocery shopping, for example). But, if you take public transportation, you too can save money and parking hassles. And who knows what interesting shops, parks, or other attractions you can discover.

          At the same time, you are reducing your gasoline and car maintenance costs, and helping to protect our environment for our children and grandchildren.

          Steve

           Steve Atlas
          Author of Car Free at the Beach, the monthly "Car Free Journey" column,
          and other articles and reports spotlighting alternatives to driving and ways to reduce our dependency on automobiles

          http://carfreeamerica.com;
          http://steveatlas45@...;
          (410) 637-5945, or (410) 236-1909
          8121 Conduit Road
          Parkville, MD 21234

          Good article but it gets a bit rickety at times.
          I would love to see profiles of bus riders. In
          our county riders range from a Chair of Academic
          Department who owns and operates a ranch with her
          husband, to folks struggling with homelessness
          and really, everything in between. Our transit
          system really is far reaching. Most folks mention
          pocketbook savings as a reason for riding. I
          push the environmental aspet of bus riding versus
          car driving.
          -Sheila

          --- In carfree_cities@ yahoogroups. com, rickrise@... wrote:

          > This story was sent to you by: rick
          >
          > A little condescending, but actually pretty good for the LA Times....
          >
          > ------------ --------
          > Riding the bus changes her view
          > ------------ --------
          >
          > A self-described 'snob' makes the switch to public transit. Though frustrating, it proves enriching in ways she never expected.
          >
          > By Ari B. Bloomekatz
          >
          > February 27 2010
          >
          > The first time Jacquelyn Carr decided to take a bus in Los Angeles, she felt as if she were navigating a new world.
          >
          > The complete article can be viewed at:
          > http://www.latimes. com/news/ local/la- me-bus-snob27- 2010feb27, 0,7122671. story
          >
          > Visit latimes.com at http://www.latimes. com

        • Brian Yourish
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2010
            "Obviously, taking public transit isn't always practical (for grocery shopping, for example)."

            Lots of people take public transit to do their grocery shopping. It's nicer to be able to walk to the grocery store, but in lieu of that, if you don't own a car, then you take transit. Preparation is the key. Folks who live without a car have a certain infrastructure set up, such as owning a small shopping cart that is relatively easy to bring onto a bus, the subway, etc.

            -Brian

            Re: Riding the bus  changes her view
            Posted by: "Steve Atlas" steveatlas45@...   steveatlas45
            Wed Mar 3, 2010 9:23 am (PST)

[...]

          • Chris Bradshaw
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2010
              The article mentioned an advantage to riding that should have been
              emphasized more: you can do other things while riding.

              Even her 15 minutes of walking can be used to read, I have found, at least
              when the traffic is light.

              We need to get the message across that driving means putting you life on
              hold and concentrate on steering that "missile" safely. Even the cyclist,
              had to pay 100% attention to piloting his bike, but for mostly defensive
              reasons.

              It was not that many decades ago that the person "driving" was doing hard
              and menial work, while the passengers were of higher status. The car
              industry has had to exult the role in order to sell cars.

              But with Blackberry's and other smart phones, as well as digital book
              readers, and the social life of sharing space with others, people,
              especially younger ones, are realizing the downsides of being a driver.
              Steve Atlas pointed to another: being able to notice more during the ride
              than a driver can, not to mention the good-riddance to the parking-space
              hassle.

              Chris Bradshaw
              Ottawa