Re: It's the Drivers, Stupid

  • mdh6214
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2010
      The universal advice for dealing with a stuck throttle is to shift into neutral and use the brake pedal and steering wheel to come to a controlled stop.

      Unfortunately, this involves _knowing that neutral is_. There are plenty of people who know only how to drive an automatic transmission, and even then, they are only aware of 'P', 'R', and 'D'. They have no clue what 'N' is, most don't even use the parking brake, and they all buy into the legend that you're not even supposed to use the parking brake.

      If I recall correctly, there was not one stuck-throttle Toyota crash with a standard transmission--since knowing how to drive one practically forces you to know that neutral disengages the engine and wheels.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2010
        Let's leave the Toyota problems to be discussed elsewhere, please.

        Joel

        At 2010-02-23 12:21, you wrote:

        >The universal advice for dealing with a stuck throttle is to shift into neutral and use the brake pedal and steering wheel to come to a controlled stop.
        >
        >Unfortunately, this involves _knowing that neutral is_. There are plenty of people who know only how to drive an automatic transmission, and even then, they are only aware of 'P', 'R', and 'D'. They have no clue what 'N' is, most don't even use the parking brake, and they all buy into the legend that you're not even supposed to use the parking brake.
        >
        >If I recall correctly, there was not one stuck-throttle Toyota crash with a standard transmission--since knowing how to drive one practically forces you to know that neutral disengages the engine and wheels.
        >
        >--- In <mailto:carfree_cities%40yahoogroups.com>carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> What's more dangerous: faulty Toyotas or bad drivers?
        >>
        >> <http://www.slate.com/id/2244929/>http://www.slate.com/id/2244929/
        >>
        >> Rick

        J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
        mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com