Re: Suburban Slums

  • mdh6214
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
      "Want to make it affordable? Then just build more of it! More San Franciscos, more Portlands..."

      This is something I've pointed out before. Yes, it's true that property in dense urban areas is expensive because of high demand and very limited supply.

      But why is the supply so limited? Probably because it's illegal to build more of it! If I recall correctly, even New York City [of all places] forces off-street parking on all new developments.

      Put another way, it's expensive for the same reason Halon 1311 and Freon are expensive: production is illegal, so we can only trade in what already exists.

      On the other hand, it's been an excellent lesson in re-purposing buildings instead of abandoning or leveling them.

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...> wrote:

      > My post inspired a by musing of Timothy Egan's on crumbling last-wave
      > suburbs in the Central vAlley here...with links to the orignal article:
      >
      > http://www.newcolonist.com/vox/archive/00001156.html
    • Bob Matter
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
        On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:49 AM, mdh6214 <matt@...> wrote:

        > "Want to make it affordable? Then just build more of it! More San Franciscos, more Portlands..."
        >
        > This is something I've pointed out before. Yes, it's true that property in dense urban areas is expensive because of high demand and very limited supply.
        >
        > But why is the supply so limited? Probably because it's illegal to build more of it! If I recall correctly, even New York City [of all places] forces off-street parking on all new developments.
        >
        > Put another way, it's expensive for the same reason Halon 1311 and Freon are expensive: production is illegal, so we can only trade in what already exists.
        >
        > On the other hand, it's been an excellent lesson in re-purposing buildings instead of abandoning or leveling them.

        There's lots of available space in all the cities you mentioned. The
        problem is speculators holding land off the market while they wait for
        it to appreciate. The solution is LVT, Land Value Taxation, as
        proposed by Henry George in 1879. A LVT would go a long way in
        solving a lot of other ills as well. See "Progress and Poverty" by
        Henry George for more.

        -Bob Matter