changing car culture

  • tim
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2000
      >=v= Car-oriented transportation infrastructure hobbles families
      >and people with disabilities alike. That's why I think that,
      >overall, the intelligent approach is to change that infra-
      >structure, rather than buying into it.

      but practically theres a lot of work changing car culture
      which runs deep now in people
      and there are reserves of people
      that will want to enter that car culture
      as instinctively as wearing clothes

      were stuck on a roundabout
      car advertising should be cleaned up
      possibly a health warning posted at the bottom

      mind you;
      I dont even know
      if you could get health warnings on gun adverts

      cant help thinking that the infrastructure
      has little chance of changing in my lifetime
      and I want to find a world of support
      for whats to do about it now

      I appreciate your educating me
      and I do understand as a cyclist

      in terms of manufacture and use
      you should notice how I am using readymade EV's
      as they come out of service
      the object is to use well trusted present day tech.
      with sensible sustainable design
      to promote a change
      a change of culture
      the culture of fast shiny and selfish
      into slow fun and friendly

      its hard to enthuse people
      even EV associations shun the idea
      as you point out - they are aiming for 1/1 replacement
      that they can make them just like IC cars
      just as fast shiny and selfish

      but also T2000 and other green transport groups
      dont want to be associated with this
      its the laughable image of milkfloats
      its a joke how slow they go
      but this works and is easy and sustainable
      I keep seeing new EV ideas come and go
      as you say with all the crap that the manufacturing brings
      soon to die a technical death, expensive mistakes

      battery recycling is a sham sometimes
      I did yesterday have to replace a cell
      and used a recycled one for it
      they are big old fashioned cells

      I use the dairy maintenence area
      they have a way of useing and reusing
      practised for 50 years with the same vehicles

      so this is one way to ease people out of car culture
      then they can watch cycles sailing past
      and aspire to riding free

      We have a shop in Soho, London
      we support local critical mass