Proposed Policy Statement on the Eligibility of Pedestrian and Bicycle Improvements Under Federal Transit Law

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2009
      This Federal Transit Document proposes changing guidelines in order
      to increase the funding allocated to pedestrian and bicycle
      infrastructure that serves the catchment area of a bus or train stop,
      and posits that the present definition of "catchment area" should be
      expanded.

      This would definitely be a way to get more money for effective bike &
      ped facilities, and we should all read this closely.

      Some quotes:

      > The success of public transportation can be limited by the problem
      > of the "first and last mile.’’ One of β€˜β€˜the best present options
      > for solving the first and last mile dilemma are ... bicycles.
      (Andrea White-Kjoss)

      > Whether used for longer trips to access amenities outside the
      > walkable radius of a public transportation station, or whether they
      > enable direct access to a public transportation facility, bicycle
      > amenities play an important role in encouraging public
      > transportation use by providing riders with greater opportunities,
      > choice, flexibility and safety for reaching their final destinations.

      > a bike-on-bus demonstration program in Phoenix, Arizona that led to
      > over 1,400 new public transportation riders per month.

      And perhaps most important in terms of actually getting
      infrastructure put in:
      > Studies suggest that developments that incorporate bicycling and
      > walking infrastructure in proximity with public transportation can
      > reduce fiscal outlays of local municipalities towards roads and
      > other infrastructure expansion by twenty-five percent.
      (TCRP Report 102: Transit-Oriented Development in the United States:
      Experiences, Challenges, and Prospects, Transportation Research
      Board, 2004)

      The report:

      http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-27240.pdf

      Rick