Home Buyers tax Credit Supports Global Warming

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2009
      Excellent article forwarded to me by my son Jack. Some quotes:

      > According to the Residential Energy Consumption Survey, per person
      > energy use in owner-occupied housing is 39 percent higher than in
      > rental units. Energy use, per household member, is 49 percent
      > higher in single-family detached houses than in apartments in
      > buildings with more than five units. These differences reflect the
      > strong connection between home size and energy use. The average
      > four-bedroom house consumes 72 percent more electricity than the
      > average two-bedroom house.
      >
      > Yet the tax code encourages Americans to live in big, energy-
      > guzzling homes, instead of thrifty apartments
      >
      > On average, as density doubles, household gasoline consumption
      > falls by about 110 gallons per year. When a household moves from
      > living 2 miles away from a city center to 10 miles away, gasoline
      > consumption increases by more than 100 gallons annually. Smart
      > environmentalism should push against tax policies that encourage
      > more suburban sprawl.

      The link:

      http://tinyurl.com/ybguwk6

      RR
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com
    • mdh6214
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2009
        My big hangup on the home buyers' tax break is it's a regressive tax break: it's a tax break for people who can afford to buy homes, but not those who can only afford to rent.

        I feel this requires us to dump the attitude that twin/row houses are "just for rental investments".

        It would also help if they were better built. New twin/row houses abound around here, but I hope you like being separated from your neighbor by two sheets of drywall. Let's see a return to twin/row houses with masonry separating walls. Joel's first book even mentioned separating houses with bricked-in airspace.