Carfree Condo Planned in Toronto

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2009
      Has 315 bike parking spots instead, and is near transit.

      http://www.thestar.com/article/696394

      Rick

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Chris Bradshaw
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2009
        > Has 315 bike parking spots instead, and is near transit.

        Bravo! (although it is not yet approved by Council, nor been subject to any
        hearing of the archaic institution, the Ontario Municipal Board; at least
        the citizens council for the area, which represents many interests, has
        approved in the face of as hostile report from City staff).

        The quote from the planners' report is telling:
        > It also stated that, "exempting the project from the city's parking
        > standards would create a negative precedent that undermines the integrity
        > of the parking provisions of the zoning bylaw."

        Au contraire, it provides a _positive_ precendent. Donald Shoup makes a
        point in his book that our Ottawalk group made in a position paper in 1995:
        parking is a legitimate land use and economic activity, and should be
        provide on its own by interests which sense a market and can meet that
        market with something that pays its own way.

        Rather, the planners tend to listen to the auto lobby and to neighbours of a
        proposed project; the former want infrastructure that will make the
        homeowner feel stupid not using, while the latter doesn't want to experience
        "spillover parking," as if the public parking on the roads in front of their
        homes and businesses belonged to them alone. And, as Shoup's title ("The
        High Cost of Free Parking) suggests, street parking is mostly free.

        I even contend that private, off-street parking should be charged for, to
        the extent that a) it creates "curb cuts" which cause uncontrolled
        intersections with pedestrians and often causes the sidewalk surface to be
        sloped to the side), and b) each parking spot represents a demand for road
        usage that is hard to charge for (remember, gas taxes go to only freeways,
        not local streets).

        By tying parking to housing and other land-uses, you are committing land to
        a use in a very wasteful way: a) the spaces may not be needed by the
        occupants, employees, customers, visitors, b) it increases the footprint of
        the land use, making distances between them longer and making the practice
        of parking once for several destinations less likely, c) the cost of the
        building to which the parking is "ancillary" goes up. How much low or
        moderate-cost housing or "incubator" business centres are hurt financially
        by high parking requirements?

        At the least, we need to experiment with low- or no-parking projects to see
        their effects. Jane Jacobs' example of closing streets around Washington
        Square near here home in NYC's Greenwich Park, and the fact that "the
        traffic" did not simply shift to nearby streets, is an argument for trying.

        I am sad to say that our 12-year-old Conservation Coop of 84 units but only
        10 car-parking spots (outdoors) and over 100 bicycle parking spots (indoors)
        has not proved to be that much of a precedent, although parking standards
        are being eased for more commercial successors closer to the downtown and
        the transitway.

        Chris Bradshaw
        Ottawa