Re: [carfree_cities] There they go again, burying poor old Vélib.

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009
      =v= Can you shed some light on this? The vandalism was in the
      news before, but I seem to recall a refutation that it was just
      J.C. Decaux exaggerating things to try to change the terms of
      their contract. This article quotes a sociologist who claims
      that it is instead a class-based conflict.

      =v= I've also seen some class-based grumblings online about the
      Bicing program in Barcelona, that it was taking parking space
      and facilities away from people using their own (non-sponsored)
      bicycles. I haven't found any media coverage of that viewpoint,
      though (at least not in English).
      <_Jym_>
    • eriksandblom
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2009
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Jym Dyer <jym@...> wrote:

        > =v= Can you shed some light on this? The vandalism was in the
        > news before, but I seem to recall a refutation that it was just
        > J.C. Decaux exaggerating things to try to change the terms of
        > their contract.

        Reports of Vélib's Demise Greatly Exaggerated
        http://www.streetsblog.org/2009/02/12/reports-of-velibs-demise-greatly-exaggerated/