Re: [carfree_cities] Car-Free Market Street Tryout, SF

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2009
      http://tinyurl.com/ya62vxu

      | Officer Charlie Lyons of the San Francisco Police Department
      | has a different perspective. When asked what his thoughts were
      | on the temporary closure, as he stood directing traffic at
      | the corner of Eighth and Market, he responded, "It's stupid."
      | There was no irony in his voice.

      > I'd suggest that Gavin Newsom get on the phone immediately
      > and ensure that his Chief of Police can find someone who, at
      > least, has neutral feelings about his job diverting traffic.

      =v= We have a lot of trouble with SFPD officers who don't even
      think bicycles belong on the road, are unfamiliar with the laws
      governing our right to the road, and who generally presume that
      bicyclists are always in the wrong. At any rate, since this
      story was written, responsibilities for diverting traffic has
      transferred from the SFPD to the Parking Control Officers (the
      meter-readers).

      =v= Contrary to the article's title, the street is what I'd call
      "car lite" rather than carfree. There's much less traffic on
      it but motorists use that opportunity to speed for the block
      they're on (perhaps the SFPD officers who used to divert traffic
      could do something about *that*). When I'm on a bicycle, I find
      that this makes it *more* unnerving than before but on transit
      I have to admit that the street is much, much better.

      =v= As long as it's "car lite," Market Street's full potential
      won't flourish. It reminds me Chicago's State Street, which
      was never truly carfree, but when it failed to perk up the area
      (and returned to its earlier car-dominated use), it was widely
      and inaccurately trotted out as an example of failed "carfree"
      street treatments.
      <_Jym_>
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2009
        Jym said:

        >=v= As long as it's "car lite," Market Street's full potential
        >won't flourish. It reminds me Chicago's State Street, which
        >was never truly carfree, but when it failed to perk up the area
        >(and returned to its earlier car-dominated use), it was widely
        >and inaccurately trotted out as an example of failed "carfree"
        >street treatments.
        ><_Jym_>

        This is an issue that comes up fairly often. Do others know
        of other examples where a "carfree" street was touted as a
        failure when it was in fact never carfree?

        Best,

        Joel

        J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
        mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com