Re: [carfree_cities] New Pedestrian Street in Madrid

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009
      On Oct 5, 2009, at 2:09 AM, jeremydhleach@... wrote:

      > Thanks for this and all your other posts - they are very
      > interesting. I
      > noted with interest the comment to the piece that said:
      >
      > And today�with the demise of the mall �all across the nation�..
      >
      > Do you have any other references/postings that might explain this
      > because, as a Brit, this was not something I was aware of and what the
      > ramifications of it are.

      Jeremy--

      From Business Week:

      http://tinyurl.com/yk4gthh

      What has more specifically happened is that the old standard enclosed
      mall has fallen out of favor; people are (not surprisingly)
      gravitating to the open, faux-Main-Street malls exemplified by the
      Grove here in Los Angeles, and to pedestrian shopping streets such as
      Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade.

      In fact a number of older enclosed malls are being turned "inside
      out"--that is, converted to open malls or faux Main Streets--
      including one at the south end of the Third Street promenade, which
      lost most of its customers to that genuine pedestrian street
      (reclaimed from a car street!).

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com