Re: [carfree_cities] Green city Malmo to use... light rail, or trams?

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009
      On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:50 AM, Aaron Thomas wrote:

      > Hey!
      > I'm working with documentation for Malmö here in Sweden that is to
      > re-establish that wonder of transport, rail-based electric
      > transport. What
      > to call it in English? I've been using LER Light Electric Rail, and
      > also
      > like light rail. But wikipedia is against that -- currently! (
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_rail ...
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tram )
      > So may I ask: If a document mentioned light electric rail or light
      > rail,
      > would any of you think that is certainly not a rail-based electric
      > public
      > transport in mixed traffic?

      Anywhere in the US, 'light rail" means electric trams powered through
      catenaries. DMUs are rare here--i doubt one person in a thousand has
      heard of them. "Trams" is also in use, but "light rail" is more common.

      "Light rail" is "light" because it does not share tracks with goods
      trains, so does not have to be built to withstand a collision with an
      8000-ton freight.

      Definition form http://lightrail.com:

      > An electric railway system, characterized by its ability to operate
      > single or multiple car consists (trains) along exclusive rights-of-
      > way at ground level, on aerial structures, in subways or in
      > streets, able to board and discharge passengers at station
      > platforms or at street, track, or car-floor level and normally
      > powered by overhead electrical wires.

      Rick

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com
    • bruun@seas.upenn.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2009
        I would suggest using the terminology that Prof. Vuchic has spent a
        career trying to standardize.

        If it mostly runs in mixed traffic, that is, RoW C, then it is a
        streetcar or tram. If it mostly runs
        with lateral separation, but at grade, then it is RoW C and light
        rail. If it runs fully grade separated,
        RoW A, then it light rail rapid transit, or just rapid transit.

        Eric Bruun