Re: [carfree_cities] New Pedestrian Street in Madrid

  • jeremydhleach@compuserve.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2009
      Dear Mr Risemberg,

      Thanks for this and all your other posts - they are very interesting. I
      noted with interest the comment to the piece that said:

      And today…with the demise of the mall …all across the nation…..

      Do you have any other references/postings that might explain this
      because, as a Brit, this was not something I was aware of and what the
      ramifications of it are.

      Thanks & best wishes - Jeremy Leach

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009
        On Oct 5, 2009, at 2:09 AM, jeremydhleach@... wrote:

        > Thanks for this and all your other posts - they are very
        > interesting. I
        > noted with interest the comment to the piece that said:
        >
        > And today�with the demise of the mall �all across the nation�..
        >
        > Do you have any other references/postings that might explain this
        > because, as a Brit, this was not something I was aware of and what the
        > ramifications of it are.

        Jeremy--

        From Business Week:

        http://tinyurl.com/yk4gthh

        What has more specifically happened is that the old standard enclosed
        mall has fallen out of favor; people are (not surprisingly)
        gravitating to the open, faux-Main-Street malls exemplified by the
        Grove here in Los Angeles, and to pedestrian shopping streets such as
        Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade.

        In fact a number of older enclosed malls are being turned "inside
        out"--that is, converted to open malls or faux Main Streets--
        including one at the south end of the Third Street promenade, which
        lost most of its customers to that genuine pedestrian street
        (reclaimed from a car street!).

        Rick