Car-Free Market Street Tryout, SF

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2009
      http://tinyurl.com/ya62vxu

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • Matt Thyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2009
        I'd suggest that Gavin Newsom get on the phone immediately and ensure that
        his Chief of Police can find someone who, at least, has neutral feelings
        about his job diverting traffic.

        Sheesh!

        Matt Thyer

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2009
          http://tinyurl.com/ya62vxu

          =v= Technically this is "car lite," not carfree; a few cars
          do get in. This is unfortunate for those of us on bicycles,
          since the cars generally use the lack of congestion to go
          as fast as they can get away with -- which is well over the
          speed limit, since the police are busy blocking intersections.

          =v= The police have since been replaced with "parking control
          officers," who are presumably paid less. Hiring people to
          divert cars (rather than building carfree infrastructure) is
          *not* the way to go about things, so in that sense I agree
          with the quoted officer that it's "stupid." But I think the
          point is to see what the project does to traffic flow; if
          it's not a problem, an infrastructural change may follow.

          =v= I think this has been a boon for aboveline transit, but
          of course they're still compiling the data.
          <_Jym_>
        • Jym Dyer
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2009
            http://tinyurl.com/ya62vxu

            | Officer Charlie Lyons of the San Francisco Police Department
            | has a different perspective. When asked what his thoughts were
            | on the temporary closure, as he stood directing traffic at
            | the corner of Eighth and Market, he responded, "It's stupid."
            | There was no irony in his voice.

            > I'd suggest that Gavin Newsom get on the phone immediately
            > and ensure that his Chief of Police can find someone who, at
            > least, has neutral feelings about his job diverting traffic.

            =v= We have a lot of trouble with SFPD officers who don't even
            think bicycles belong on the road, are unfamiliar with the laws
            governing our right to the road, and who generally presume that
            bicyclists are always in the wrong. At any rate, since this
            story was written, responsibilities for diverting traffic has
            transferred from the SFPD to the Parking Control Officers (the
            meter-readers).

            =v= Contrary to the article's title, the street is what I'd call
            "car lite" rather than carfree. There's much less traffic on
            it but motorists use that opportunity to speed for the block
            they're on (perhaps the SFPD officers who used to divert traffic
            could do something about *that*). When I'm on a bicycle, I find
            that this makes it *more* unnerving than before but on transit
            I have to admit that the street is much, much better.

            =v= As long as it's "car lite," Market Street's full potential
            won't flourish. It reminds me Chicago's State Street, which
            was never truly carfree, but when it failed to perk up the area
            (and returned to its earlier car-dominated use), it was widely
            and inaccurately trotted out as an example of failed "carfree"
            street treatments.
            <_Jym_>
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 12, 2009
              Jym said:

              >=v= As long as it's "car lite," Market Street's full potential
              >won't flourish. It reminds me Chicago's State Street, which
              >was never truly carfree, but when it failed to perk up the area
              >(and returned to its earlier car-dominated use), it was widely
              >and inaccurately trotted out as an example of failed "carfree"
              >street treatments.
              ><_Jym_>

              This is an issue that comes up fairly often. Do others know
              of other examples where a "carfree" street was touted as a
              failure when it was in fact never carfree?

              Best,

              Joel

              J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
              mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com