New Pedestrian Street in Madrid

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2009
      http://tinyurl.com/y85568v

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • jeremydhleach@compuserve.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2009
        Dear Mr Risemberg,

        Thanks for this and all your other posts - they are very interesting. I
        noted with interest the comment to the piece that said:

        And today…with the demise of the mall …all across the nation…..

        Do you have any other references/postings that might explain this
        because, as a Brit, this was not something I was aware of and what the
        ramifications of it are.

        Thanks & best wishes - Jeremy Leach

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2009
          On Oct 5, 2009, at 2:09 AM, jeremydhleach@... wrote:

          > Thanks for this and all your other posts - they are very
          > interesting. I
          > noted with interest the comment to the piece that said:
          >
          > And today�with the demise of the mall �all across the nation�..
          >
          > Do you have any other references/postings that might explain this
          > because, as a Brit, this was not something I was aware of and what the
          > ramifications of it are.

          Jeremy--

          From Business Week:

          http://tinyurl.com/yk4gthh

          What has more specifically happened is that the old standard enclosed
          mall has fallen out of favor; people are (not surprisingly)
          gravitating to the open, faux-Main-Street malls exemplified by the
          Grove here in Los Angeles, and to pedestrian shopping streets such as
          Santa Monica's Third Street Promenade.

          In fact a number of older enclosed malls are being turned "inside
          out"--that is, converted to open malls or faux Main Streets--
          including one at the south end of the Third Street promenade, which
          lost most of its customers to that genuine pedestrian street
          (reclaimed from a car street!).

          Rick