Philadelphians Driving Less

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2009
      http://tinyurl.com/mjkwek

      Transit use increasing in Philly

      Rick

      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com

    • bruun@seas.upenn.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2009
        What is this about "improving transit?" There has been no investment
        in transit expansion for decades and there is
        virtually no money for expansion in the capital budget either. The
        transit system in Pniladelphia looks like a museum.
        It can't all be blamed on lack of money either. The City of
        Philadelphia has had a "transit first" policy since 1990, but
        I can't see a shred of evidence for it.

        Eric Bruun

        Quoting Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...>:

        > http://tinyurl.com/mjkwek
        >
        > Transit use increasing in Philly
        >
        > Rick
        >
        > --
        > Richard Risemberg
        > http://www.bicyclefixation.com
        > http://www.newcolonist.com
        > http://www.rickrise.com

      • N Schneider
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 25, 2009
          I just attended a presentation by SEPTA and I have to agree with Eric.  They stated that nothing has really been built in the last 20 years.  However there are plans to expand routes up in Bucks County and add a new rail line to Reading, PA (remember the Reading Railroad in Monopoly?  Ironic there's no passenger rail service there) which is scheduled to be done in 5 years or so.On a positive note: two cross town bike lanes have been added, as a pilot project.  Westbound on Spruce and Eastbound on Pine.  But the NOMS (not on my street) are fighting it.Nancy Schneider