Re: [carfree_cities] Tom Friedman in the NYT

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21 10:03 AM
      Crawford:

      > Tom Friedman is hardly anyone's idea of a cheese-eating
      liberal. Yet he called stridently for a hefty gas tax in
      yesterday's NY Times:

      This is not surprising to those who have read his most recent book, Hot,
      Flat, and Crowded.

      His main premise is to make oil pay its way, allowing for a faster
      transition to his "Energy Internet," in which electricity will flow -- on
      meters -- like info on the Internet.

      He points out that, although transportation energy accounts for 27% of CO2
      emissions, it accounts for two-thirds of the oil America consumes each day.
      Of course, this doesn't take account of the oil used in manufacturing of
      cars and paving roads and parking lots.

      What he doesn't get regarding the Internet connection is that, if
      electricity will be more sparingly used when it is available only through
      smart meters (to charge more for use at peak times, and to pay those who
      will pump electricity _into_ the grid, like those with plug-in hybrids),
      then why not apply the same intelligence to the more efficient use of the
      existing fleet of vehicles. Congestion pricing is part of the solution.

      But we must go deeper. You only have to start with the 4-7 empty seats in
      the typical car on the road, or the amount of time a car sits idle while the
      owner-driver does his/her business, which translates to each car in a city's
      car 'population' requiring 6-8 parking spots to be added to its parking
      'population.' (ask a city planner to tell you these two numbers for his
      city, and see a big scrug).

      Software and the Internet can allow for what I call "trans-seat" where each
      seat in a car is available to others who will book it and pay for it
      automatically via cell phones. Little parking is needed because a car when
      it reaches the destination of the last occupant it sits only long enough for
      another traveller to request it, whereupon the driver will head to his
      destination and pick up other 'members' along the way. The solfware will
      also cover all seats in regular transit. Some of this service will become
      redundant as a result (most peak-load, especially longer commutes, and
      service to low-density areas, both of which represent close to all the
      subsidies today's transit requires).

      The type of fuel a car uses hardly scratches the range of problems cars
      cause us. But it is fair to recognize that at leat Frieddman ties together:
      oil-security (military), resource-deletion, and climate-change angles with
      his proposals. Now he needs to consider: transportation-access equity,
      traffic in neighbourhoods, sprawl, congestion, and the three health
      downsides: trauma, obesity/fitness, and stress. We have too many cars and
      those who own them drive too much.

      Chris Bradshaw
      Ottawa
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 21 1:40 PM
        On Sep 21, 2009, at 10:03 AM, Chris Bradshaw wrote:

        > Software and the Internet can allow for what I call "trans-seat"
        > where each
        > seat in a car is available to others who will book it and pay for it
        > automatically via cell phones. Little parking is needed because a
        > car when
        > it reaches the destination of the last occupant it sits only long
        > enough for
        > another traveller to request it, whereupon the driver will head to his
        > destination and pick up other 'members' along the way.

        Sounds to me as though this principle is better applied to taxi
        service, so that the car never parks until its retired for the night.

        At least till sensible urban design makes cars as unnecessary as they
        are presently destructive.

        Rick
        http://www.bicyclefixation.com
        http://www.newcolonist.com
        http://www.rickrise.com

      • bruun@seas.upenn.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 24 2:24 PM
          Dynamic car sharing schemes don't work well. They have been studied
          and tried for years.

          If we have better transit and better non-motorized facilities than
          people can move
          spontaneously without the need for advanced technology, for planning ahead
          and for potential monitoring of our every movement by the National
          Security Agency.

          Eric Bruun