Re: [LotsLessCars] 2010: The Year of the Woman in Transport

  • Lilia Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hi, Eric-
      Transportation has an image problem among women. It needs a PR campaign.
      I've been involved in the Cycle Chic movement for more than a year now. It
      is one of the single most effective ways to convince women to try cycling
      long enough to feel comfortable doing it: make riding a bicycle fashionable.
      Copenhagen, where everyone bikes, launched the movement. My parisienne
      girlfriends are slowly becoming comfortable biking due to the pervasiveness
      and ease of the Velib' program. Here in San Francisco, Cycle Chic has
      certainly become trendy -- I see women biking in dresses all the time now
      whereas before it was mostly skater punks (boys) on fixies.

      Do you (and members of the lists) have other ideas for promoting cycling
      among women as a viable form of transportation? How can we make the Cycle
      Chic movement more effective?

      (I've been a utilitarian cyclist since the early '90s but now I dress up to
      ride my bike across town. The movement worked on me in reverse.)

      Thanks for all you do!
      Lilia
      http://liliapilia.blogspot.com/search/label/Cycle%20Chic