[World Streets] Mr. Meter on America's Cash for Clunkers

  • Eric Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2009
      World Streets: Heavy traffic on the way to
      sustainable cities and sustainable lives . . .

      Mr. Meter on America's Cash for Clunkers

      If matters of climate, sustainable transportation and scarce resources are
      close to your heart, and you happen to be European, you may have some
      reserves about your country's ecologically billed,
      <http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kbTo-M_pSuw/SoJarJyli7I/AAAAAAAABZM/2wFMywAX8YM/s
      1600-h/pic-schipper.jpg> and energetically buttressed "Cash for Clunkers"
      (in more polite Euro language of course) program. Let a couple of Americans
      help you to feel less embarrassed.

      Before you dig in, a summary:
      Schipper's real concerns in this article published earlier this week in the
      Washingtom
      <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2009/08/08/GR200908080
      2658.html> Post are these: First, the CO2 saved come principally because
      the cars bought under C4C are slightly more fuel economic than others
      bought. But the CO2 saved over the lifetime of the new car is extremely
      expensive, hundreds of dollars per tonne. If Americans are whining over
      cap-and-trade or a carbon tax in the tens of dollars per tonne, why embrace
      something so much more expensive for the taxpayer. And at the end of the day
      C4C doesn't fix transport, it only fixes a tiny bit of CO2. Schipper is
      worried that Americans will now set back and breath a sigh of relief, when
      the real work lies ahead.

      And as to our European friends, the situation is no less (I choose my word)
      stupid. See the Associated Press piece below summarizing the state of play
      of C4C in eleven European cities. Stupidity is clearly viral.

      --> The full text of this article appears in World
      <http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/> Streets today at
      http://WorldStreets.org/