Reurbia: A Suburban Design Competition

  • Lloyd Wright
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2009
      http://www.re-burbia.com/finalists/

      Reburbia: A Suburban Design Competition

      Dwell Magazine and Inhabitat.com have announced finalists of the
      first-ever Reburbia competition: a design competition dedicated to
      re-envisioning the suburbs. The public is invited to vote online for
      their top choices August 10-17, 2009.
    • Aaron Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2009
        I scanned these and cannot see any inclusion of car-free/few. That is
        amazing, I must say. It's like there is a form of refrigerator-blindess at
        work here. Exclusion of the car would lead to many uses of space that would
        really repair the suburban problem, i.e. human isolation.
        with good wishes,
        Aaron

        2009/8/11 Lloyd Wright <lwright@...>

        > http://www.re-burbia.com/finalists/
        >
        > Reburbia: A Suburban Design Competition
        >
        > Dwell Magazine and Inhabitat.com have announced finalists of the
        > first-ever Reburbia competition: a design competition dedicated to
        > re-envisioning the suburbs. The public is invited to vote online for
        > their top choices August 10-17, 2009.

      • Christopher Miller
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2009
          Inability to see what in principle is right there before you.

          Medical journal paper on the affliction here (head in fridge, tongue
          in cheek):

          http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/173/12/1494

          On 11-Aug-09, at 4:12 PM, J.H. Crawford wrote:

          > sorry, what is "refrigerator blindness"?
          >
          > Joel
          >
          > At 2009-08-11 08:15, you wrote:
          > >

          > >I scanned these and cannot see any inclusion of car-free/few. That is
          > >amazing, I must say. It's like there is a form of refrigerator-
          > blindess at
          > >work here. Exclusion of the car would lead to many uses of space
          > that would
          > >really repair the suburban problem, i.e. human isolation.
          > >with good wishes,
          > >Aaron

          Christopher Miller
          Montreal QC Canada

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2009

            At 2009-08-11 08:15, you wrote:

            >I scanned these and cannot see any inclusion of car-free/few. That is
            >amazing, I must say. It's like there is a form of refrigerator-blindess at
            >work here. Exclusion of the car would lead to many uses of space that would
            >really repair the suburban problem, i.e. human isolation.
            >with good wishes,
            >Aaron
            >
            >2009/8/11 Lloyd Wright <<mailto:lwright%40vivacities.org>lwright@...>
            >

            >> http://www.re-burbia.com/finalists/
            >>
            >> Reburbia: A Suburban Design Competition
            >>
            >> Dwell Magazine and Inhabitat.com have announced finalists of the
            >> first-ever Reburbia competition: a design competition dedicated to
            >> re-envisioning the suburbs. The public is invited to vote online for
            >> their top choices August 10-17, 2009.

            J.H. Crawford . Carfree Cities
            mailbox@... . http://www.carfree.com