Update and invitation: In very brief

  • Eric Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2009
      Heavy traffic on the way to sustainable cities and sustainable lives . . .

      Paris, Tuesday, August 11, 2009

      1. Intro: The attached provides a lightening introduction to World Streets, how we got here and where we intend to go from here. It may be handy for you to know.

      2. Articles: We welcome articles and suggestions for both topics and authors. More on that at <http://tinyurl.com/ws-guidelines> http://tinyurl.com/ws-guidelines

      3. Subscribe: If your circumstances permit you to pay our modest annual subscription (€ 29 or USD 39), that would be great. You will find details on how to do it at <http://tinyurl.com/ws-subscribe> http://tinyurl.com/ws-subscribe. (And if you can't afford it, no problem. You are still on the sustainability team and we need you to keep on.)

      4. One Percent Cities: We are making contact with a number of cities that are leading the way in these matters, and are inviting them to share one percent of the costs of keeping World Streets going. If you have a candidate for us, it would be good to hear from you.

      5. Leading by Example: Just published our first "mayor's profile" in this series and very much wish to do more. If you have candidates for us, please let us know. Sustainable transportation will happen only when our leaders walk the walk with us every day. It doesn't work by remote control.

      6. Journal of World Transport Policy and Practice: WTPP is our sister journal, and the editor and founder, John Whitelegg writes us this today: " We need a big push to get the sustainable transport message across to all decision makers globally and the best way to do this is to multiply our output by a factor of 10! The world is hungry for success stories as well as reasoned explanations of why things went wrong if they did go wrong." You can contact John directly with your ideas and proposals at <mailto:j.whitelegg@...> j.whitelegg@...

      Eric Britton

      PS. Don't forget to read World Streets. It stretches your mind and makes you smart. (And a nicer person to be around too. Guaranteed!)

      For World Streets at <http://www.worldstreets.org/> worldstreets.org