Re: [carfree_cities] Re: The Cul-de-Sac Syndrome

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
      I hhavn't read the book. but I listened to the Bloomberg audio interview,
      and read the table of contents and part of the chapter-one excerpt they
      provided on the site.

      He doesn't look at transportation too much. But his analysis of the recent
      housing market give insight into the "silo" mentality in which people buy in
      the far suburbs, with no thought as to why they are saving money, $$/ft2,
      over a house further in. It is called location-efficiency, and it provides
      propinquity dividends in the form of savings for transportation: fleet
      investments, insurance, gas, maintenance, and even time and stress from
      driving.

      But rather than set aside their savings for covering these costs, the buyers
      simply a bigger and more 'amenitied' model than they really need, just to
      impress people they don't know and to increase the amount of their initial
      dollar outlay, which increases by the same percentage usually, regardless of
      the initial value.

      When is the language of the housing market going to include transportation
      trade-offs?

      Chris Bradshaw
      Ottawa