The Cul-de-Sac Syndrome

  • chbuckeye
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2009
    • chbuckeye
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2009
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "chbuckeye" <coleridge3150@...> wrote:

        > http://www.ordering1.us/bloombergbooks/product.php?pid=339

        Sorry, meant to add that this is a new book by John Wasik.

        Has anyone read it?

        The author also has a website. I'm more interested in his solutions, one of which is listed on his website as "Throw out the car and rewrite building and zoning codes."

        http://www.culdesacsyndrome.com/

        While it's a great slogan, "how" it gets done is a question worth pursuing.
      • Chris Bradshaw
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
          I hhavn't read the book. but I listened to the Bloomberg audio interview,
          and read the table of contents and part of the chapter-one excerpt they
          provided on the site.

          He doesn't look at transportation too much. But his analysis of the recent
          housing market give insight into the "silo" mentality in which people buy in
          the far suburbs, with no thought as to why they are saving money, $$/ft2,
          over a house further in. It is called location-efficiency, and it provides
          propinquity dividends in the form of savings for transportation: fleet
          investments, insurance, gas, maintenance, and even time and stress from
          driving.

          But rather than set aside their savings for covering these costs, the buyers
          simply a bigger and more 'amenitied' model than they really need, just to
          impress people they don't know and to increase the amount of their initial
          dollar outlay, which increases by the same percentage usually, regardless of
          the initial value.

          When is the language of the housing market going to include transportation
          trade-offs?

          Chris Bradshaw
          Ottawa