Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Cellphones & Driving

  • Chris Bradshaw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2009
      John is right,

      Distracted driving is a very serious danger, and covers many more activities
      than holding a cellphone.

      > . . . . And even if a law
      > enforcement officer does manage to catch someone they can simply claim
      > they were using the mp3 player feature or perhaps it's also a two-way
      > radio.

      Our local coroner was so fussy about not being distracted when driving his
      government-supplied car that he ordered it without a radio.

      Most HTAs include the phrase "the driver must have care and control of the
      vehicle at all times." This should be good enough to allow police to charge
      a driver doing anything that is not _required_ while driving. Passing laws
      to ban hand-held cellphones only makes these other distractions seem
      acceptable.

      Our pedestrians' rights group, Ottawalk (1988-2000) adopted a
      position on this issue in 1990.

      Chris Bradshaw
      Ottawa, Canada