Re:Planned "urban renewal" for old Kashgar

  • Karen Sandness
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18 8:52 AM
      It's the same thing they did to Beijing.

      When I was there in 1990, most of the city was low-rise, and bicycles
      were the primary mode of transportation, although you could see
      skyscrapers under construction.

      Recent footage I've seen of Beijing shows a typical modern city with
      skyscrapers and freeways.

      The excellent movie "Shower" portrays the effect of these changes on a
      traditional neighborhood, as the customers of a local bathhouse are
      forced to relocate and sever their social ties.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness