Transform - SF Bay Area transportation coalition

  • Ron Wolf
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2009
      http://www.transformca.org/

      this organization just came to my attention so i thought to point it out to y'all as its quite topical. i don't know much about them other than what i see on the website. they look pretty big with 20 people on staff. but guess i'm skeptical that they will make any difference. for one thing, 20 people and yet they have no 'news' posting since May 5th? and they don't even include Carfree Times in their list of links?? yes, i passed the Carfree.com link onto them and suggested that they hook up.

      since i'm posting anyway, thought to mention that SF just raised their bus fare from $1.50 to $2. a huge and, i think, unfair jump. meannwhile autos use the city streets for free etc.

      and as i'm in Euro now and once again experiencing the stunning contrast in lifestyles, i wanted to share with you a small, but typical, vignette...

      ... i took the train (of course) from Vienna to go hiking in the Alps foothills last Sunday and about half way to the mountains a 50ish woman got on the train with her 3speed bike with her cute little dog in the basket. people made room for her & the bike. she put on her reading glasses and read some work related thing. everyone is all smiles, even tho we are sorta packed together. and a few stops later she rode off to whatever she was going. compare that to driving the SUV to Costco, the traffic, the nameless clerks, crowds of people who are trying very hard not to engage with one another. its hard to realize what we have done to ourselves and the price we pay for it until confronted with a contrast like this...

      i know preaching to the choir. but i was thinking of how many of my friends, would probably have been happier to have lived here in Euro than in the US (me too)....