Double standard at work again

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2009
      Where I live, a 26-year-old male recently died when he ran his motorcycle off a rural-road curve at 100+ mph. His traffic record: 14 moving violations in 6 years--which is especially high if you count in the fact that local law enforcement do close to zero traffic enforcement.

      His Facebook page was pretty much a brag about his "love" for riding his motorcycle at double or triple the speed limit--and especially fleeing law enforcement.

      The newspaper article about his death said that "...for an unknown reason, he failed to negotiate a curve and lost control of the bike..." -- zero mention of his record, or the fact that witnesses at the scene have him passing illegally and going in a straight line as the road curved.

      Some comments were posted on the newspaper's website about his disregard for public safety. Other posters were, of course, absolutely furious about this, since he died "doing what he loved", ignoring the fact that maybe his "love" should have stayed on the racetrack.

      I think I'm beating a dead horse here, but do you see a double standard? If I "loved" walking around firing a gun randomly, I'd probably be in prison by now.

      Then, of course, is a society that glamorizes and makes such behavior not only socially acceptable, but socially unacceptable to NOT do. Lots of us have been told by passengers that "The speed limit is 35; you should be going at least 40" or "You have to turn on red" [not true]--or my personal favorite, "When are you replacing your car? It's 10 years old!"