Re: Lesser-know transit systems in big Us cities

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2009
      Yeah, good point. The I-10 project here is several years in the making, and I think everyone's pretty much looking for it to be over. It's your typical road widening project: nobody wanted it except the city/county commissions and the state legislature. Noise barrier walls were built, but only for middle-class-or-higher areas [sorry to be so blunt, but that's how it's done].

      In the mid-1990s, the "Thomasville Road Flyover" was finished with a LOT of fanfare--it was the city's first flyover, it was called a sign of "urban modernism", and the mayor ceremoniously rode his motorcycle across it. It was something like $60M for half a mile of road.

      By the way, ground just broke on the new Hudson River tubes. The project, as a whole, is going to take 8 years and cost $8.7B. IIRC, the Madrid Metro's line 12, a 40 km circular, all-underground line, was done in 4 years and for 1.1B EUR.

      Am I comparing apples to oranges here? Or are massively expensive and time-consuming projects a part of US culture too?