[World Streets] Reducing transportation's carbon consumption - Comments

  • Eric Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2009
      <http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kbTo-M_pSuw/SjcoICtrgpI/AAAAAAAAA5A/mgIgKt6QU64/s
      1600-h/p2p-nma.jpg>
      http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kbTo-M_pSuw/SjcoICtrgpI/AAAAAAAAA5A/mgIgKt6QU64/s2
      00/p2p-nma.jpg
      Last Thursday, 11 June, we posted to World Streets
      <http://www.worldstreets.org/> an advanced working draft of a proposal and
      recommendations for a joint work program of the US Dept of Transportation
      and the Environmental Protection Agency in our area of expertise -- to be
      submitted after peer review here, and subsequent amendment, to the public
      site of organized by the National Journal in Washington DC where expert
      opinion is being gathered in a broad-based collaborative effort to provide
      high profile information and insights for the incoming Obama policy teams in
      those two important institutions.
      The original question posed by the National Journal team can be found here
      <http://energy.nationaljournal.com/2009/06/how-should-epa-and-dot-reduce.php
      > . along with all the responses to be posted as of this date. Our original
      draft posting of 11 June here
      <http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-should-epa-and-dot-reduce
      .html> .

      * Click here to access the Comments
      <http://newmobilityagenda.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-should-epa-and-dot-reduce
      .html#comments> and peer discussion as of this date. (Recommended!)

      Our continuous challenge here, and beyond, is how can we help assemble the
      ideas, energies, and expertise of the broadest range of sources and views to
      help inform and guide public policy. While the other half of democracy is
      active citizenry, it is not always so evident how to achieve that. Each of
      us has to do their part.

      This process of public consultation and open peer review of which you have
      one example here is one we take very seriously, and if you have the time and
      taste to dig in here you will see why. As editor I find that this
      interactive process of mutually challenging our ideas is one of the great
      strengths of this World Streets project.

      And you, of course, are invited to add your comments to the above.

      Eric Britton
      Editor