Re: Lesser-know transit systems in big Us cities

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2009
      This might sound weird, but I'm looking forward to a day when new rail transit projects are NOT greeted with massive fanfare, ribbon cutting by a mayor who will never use it, etc.

      Mass transit should be considered a "fact of life" for urban areas, just like how roads [and sidewalks] are today. This Thursday in Tallahassee, a new I-10 flyover on-ramp is going to open to the public. I have a strong feeling there will be no fanfare other than the orange barricades being removed in the dead of night.

      Meanwhile, the last time StarMetro extended a single route, you'd think a cure for cancer had been found.

      I know that the Madrid metro and suburban rail systems are growing like weeds. Can anyone there confirm what it's like there when a new station is open? Massive fanfare? Or just "it's open"?

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2009
        On Jun 15, 2009, at 7:50 PM, Matt Hohmeister wrote:

        > This might sound weird, but I'm looking forward to a day when new
        > rail transit projects are NOT greeted with massive fanfare, ribbon
        > cutting by a mayor who will never use it, etc.
        >
        > Mass transit should be considered a "fact of life" for urban areas,
        > just like how roads [and sidewalks] are today. This Thursday in
        > Tallahassee, a new I-10 flyover on-ramp is going to open to the
        > public. I have a strong feeling there will be no fanfare other than
        > the orange barricades being removed in the dead of night.

        A quick-and-dirty internet search returned over 50,000 links for
        "freeway opening ceremony." I think that making a civic fuss is part
        of US culture. I also got over 300,000 returns for "dog park opening
        ceremony."

        Rick
        http://www.bicyclefixation.com
        http://www.newcolonist.com
        http://www.rickrise.com

      • Matt Hohmeister
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2009
          Yeah, good point. The I-10 project here is several years in the making, and I think everyone's pretty much looking for it to be over. It's your typical road widening project: nobody wanted it except the city/county commissions and the state legislature. Noise barrier walls were built, but only for middle-class-or-higher areas [sorry to be so blunt, but that's how it's done].

          In the mid-1990s, the "Thomasville Road Flyover" was finished with a LOT of fanfare--it was the city's first flyover, it was called a sign of "urban modernism", and the mayor ceremoniously rode his motorcycle across it. It was something like $60M for half a mile of road.

          By the way, ground just broke on the new Hudson River tubes. The project, as a whole, is going to take 8 years and cost $8.7B. IIRC, the Madrid Metro's line 12, a 40 km circular, all-underground line, was done in 4 years and for 1.1B EUR.

          Am I comparing apples to oranges here? Or are massively expensive and time-consuming projects a part of US culture too?