Google Street View comes to carfree areas

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19 1:17 PM
      http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552,49302292,00.htm

      I kind of saw this one coming. Street View had typically only been able to get where a car could go, and I had a feeling that wasn't enough for Google.

      Of course, if the camera can be put on a tricycle, it could also be put on a four-wheeled flatbed dolly for areas where not even bikes are allowed. Even that might prove difficult to move around crowded areas in Venice.

      As a geek, I find this interesting. It'll also let the world look at unplanned pictures of carfree areas and experience them remotely. I know I do with with Madrid, which I miss, even though I lived there for one semester about 10 years ago.

      PS--For those of you who have been to Venice: how courteous are the pedestrians towards large loads on wheels, like dollies or pallet jacks? Do they tend to ignore them? Or let them through?
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19 4:54 PM
        >PS--For those of you who have been to Venice: how courteous are the pedestrians towards large loads on wheels, like dollies or pallet jacks? Do they tend to ignore them? Or let them through?

        One of the many reasons that I suspect that the porters of
        Venice whistle while they work is to let people know they
        are coming. People are generally pretty decent about it,
        as they are about almost everything in Venice.

        Best,

        Joel