Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Two takes on "green" cars

  • Jason Meggs
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5 6:02 PM
      Noise is an enormous public health problem which is only just beginning to
      be addressed again.

      In the USA, the EPA's nascent Noise Control Division was remarkably gutted
      by the new Reagan Admininstration. A calculation of lives and DALYs lost
      due to that would surely be staggering. Noise kills. (One of the effects of
      that act is that transit agencies cannot specify noise as a condition for
      purchasing transit vehicles, and so transit vehicles often are many times
      louder than private vehicles in the USA. This is particularly harmful as
      transit corridors often run at night when other traffic is light, and
      through the densest population centers where the most people are exposed.)

      In Europe, noise has recently been identified as a top public health concern
      and mobilization is taking place to address it in a variety of ways, and for
      good reason:

      "About 65% of the population of the European Union is exposed regularly to
      sound levels (55-65 dB) that lead to serious annoyance, interference with
      speech, and sleep disturbance. This proportion has increased over the past
      decades.22<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1116028#B22>Very
      loud noise (65 to 75 dB) is associated with a small increase in
      cardiovascular disease, which might have a large impact on the population in
      view of the wide
      exposure.23<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1116028#B23>Furthermore,
      the attention, problem solving ability, and reading acquisition
      of children exposed regularly to aircraft noise are impaired. Noise also
      interferes with memory, attention, and the ability to deal with complex
      analytical problems.24<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1116028#B24>Transportation
      is the main source of noise in Europe, and road traffic is
      the main source of human exposure to noise, except for people living near
      airports or railway
      lines.25<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1116028#B25>"

      http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1116028

      So yes, all onoise sources are needing a rethinking, and regulations of
      power tools, vehicles, and more are critically important to public health.

      Worth mentioning that in Berkeley, CA at least, use of private
      combustion-powered leaf blowers has been banned.

      Jason Meggs