Re: Two takes on "green" cars

  • Erik Sandblom
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1 2:50 PM
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

      > The other point that needs to be made here is that
      > if ALL vehicles are relatively quiet, they will all
      > be audible. It's only when there is a large disparity
      > between the sound levels of the vehicles that the
      > quiet ones cannot be heard.

      A lot of the noise from cars is from the tyres, not the engine. I
      suspect tyre noise grows faster with speed than engine noise. It would
      be interesting to know the cutoff point where more noise is coming
      from tyres.
    • Matt Hohmeister
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5 5:36 PM
        My sister and brother-in-law--both American--have two dogs that bark very little. I guess you just have to know how to care for these very attention-hungry animals.

        > In Amsterdam I almost never had a problem with this despite
        > being surrounded by hundreds of families with doubtless
        > dozens of dogs. The only regular offender was... an American
        > family. They denied that their dog barked.

        I've noticed that cheap power tools tend to make a LOT more noise than their better-made counterparts. Anyone who's ever used a direct-drive air compressor vs. a belt-driven compressor has noticed this.

        I've heard proposals to regulate noise to 70 dB, measured at the property line, exception for burglar/fire/flood/temperature/etc alarms. A typical electric leaf blower is this loud at 50', ruling them out for use in most areas of a carfree city.

        > This can be objectionable. In the new book I have called
        > for limits on tools and noise levels. (Some tools are
        > MUCH quieter than others.) This is a reason to concentrate
        > all construction activities in a short period.
        >
        > BTW--I have been building a deck recently, and I have been
        > doing all the sawing by hand. With a sharp saw, it's nowhere
        > near as difficult as you might think. Of course, where to
        > get a saw sharpened these days is another matter.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Joel
      • Jason Meggs
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5 6:02 PM
          Noise is an enormous public health problem which is only just beginning to
          be addressed again.

          In the USA, the EPA's nascent Noise Control Division was remarkably gutted
          by the new Reagan Admininstration. A calculation of lives and DALYs lost
          due to that would surely be staggering. Noise kills. (One of the effects of
          that act is that transit agencies cannot specify noise as a condition for
          purchasing transit vehicles, and so transit vehicles often are many times
          louder than private vehicles in the USA. This is particularly harmful as
          transit corridors often run at night when other traffic is light, and
          through the densest population centers where the most people are exposed.)

          In Europe, noise has recently been identified as a top public health concern
          and mobilization is taking place to address it in a variety of ways, and for
          good reason:

          "About 65% of the population of the European Union is exposed regularly to
          sound levels (55-65 dB) that lead to serious annoyance, interference with
          speech, and sleep disturbance. This proportion has increased over the past
          decades.22<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1116028#B22>Very
          loud noise (65 to 75 dB) is associated with a small increase in
          cardiovascular disease, which might have a large impact on the population in
          view of the wide
          exposure.23<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1116028#B23>Furthermore,
          the attention, problem solving ability, and reading acquisition
          of children exposed regularly to aircraft noise are impaired. Noise also
          interferes with memory, attention, and the ability to deal with complex
          analytical problems.24<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1116028#B24>Transportation
          is the main source of noise in Europe, and road traffic is
          the main source of human exposure to noise, except for people living near
          airports or railway
          lines.25<http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1116028#B25>"

          http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1116028

          So yes, all onoise sources are needing a rethinking, and regulations of
          power tools, vehicles, and more are critically important to public health.

          Worth mentioning that in Berkeley, CA at least, use of private
          combustion-powered leaf blowers has been banned.

          Jason Meggs