NYTimes.com: Obama Unveils High-Speed Rail Plan

  • rickrise@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 2009
      This page was sent to you by: rickrise@....

      U.S. / POLITICS | April 17, 2009
      Obama Unveils High-Speed Rail Plan
      By BRIAN KNOWLTON
      President Barack Obama on Thursday highlighted his ambition for the development of high-speed passenger rail lines in at least 10 regions.

      http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/us/politics/17train.html?emc=eta1

      ABOUT THIS E-MAIL
      This e-mail was sent to you by a friend through NYTimes.com's E-mail This Article service. For general information about NYTimes.com, write to help@....

      NYTimes.com 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018

      Copyright 2009 The New York Times Company

    • Matt Hohmeister
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 16, 2009
        I'm obviously hoping for the best, but here in Florida, we're used to rail vaporware.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_High_Speed_Rail

        We voted for high-speed rail in 2000, to start by 2003. Then-Governor Jeb Bush did everything he could to stall it, then forced it back onto the ballot in 2004 worded as a repeal, so a "Yes" vote meant a repeal, praying on the tendency of voters to not actually read the ballot initiatives and just vote "Yes".

        If it does happen, I'm wondering if it's going to be another half-baked, watered-down, overpriced, FRA-drenched disaster that doesn't even have economy class seats.