Re: [carfree_cities] Carfree Bhaktapur/Bhadgaon/Khwopa, Nepal

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2009
      On Mar 24, 2009, at 7:34 PM, Christopher Miller wrote:

      > In one of my periodic Google searches for the latest carfree-related
      > information, I stumbled on yet another (mostly) carfree locale in the
      > Indian subcontinent (after Fazilka in Punjab a couple of months ago).
      > The place has three alternative names, apparently: Bhaktapur, Bhadgaon
      > or Khwopa. (As it turns out, Joel mentioned Bhaktapur in a 2001
      > interview with Rick Risemberg.)

      I believe that interview was with Pete Menchetti, not me.

      RR
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.rickrise.com
    • Christopher Miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2009
        On 24-Mar-09, at 10:56 PM, Richard Risemberg wrote:

        > On Mar 24, 2009, at 7:34 PM, Christopher Miller wrote:
        >
        > > In one of my periodic Google searches for the latest carfree-related
        > > information, I stumbled on yet another (mostly) carfree locale in
        > the
        > > Indian subcontinent (after Fazilka in Punjab a couple of months
        > ago).
        > > The place has three alternative names, apparently: Bhaktapur,
        > Bhadgaon
        > > or Khwopa. (As it turns out, Joel mentioned Bhaktapur in a 2001
        > > interview with Rick Risemberg.)
        >
        > I believe that interview was with Pete Menchetti, not me.

        Apologies - my careless mistake, automatically conflating the
        Bicyclefixation blog and you personally. No harm done, though, I hope!

        Christopher Miller
        Montreal QC Canada
      • Debra Efroymson
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2009
          Hi all. I've been to Bhaktapur and have many photos. It is not carfree but car-lite, the motorbikes are annoying but relatively few, and (as Richard Register can also testify) it has many of the makings of a great small city. In both Kathmandu and Bhaktapur I see very young children moving around independently, a rare sight in many Asian cities.
          Debra

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2009
            Interesting observations about the town being "car-lite". From what I
            recall, the online information I saw had the central area (presumably
            around Durbar Square) carfree, with vehicles apparently still allowed
            in outer areas. The photos show many quite narrow streets, which
            obviously would not accommodate most automobiles. (Now, that doesn't
            apply to motorbikes, and the Tata that's been so much in the news
            recently is another likely exception, unfortunately...)

            Are the outer areas mostly carfree too? Do cars or motorbikes invade
            the inner areas?

            It seems to me that most if not all modern age carfree areas so far
            seem to be either central city areas or small, mainly residential
            developments away from downtowns. The only project I am aware of that
            seems to be on any large scale and is actually going ahead is
            Masdar... It certainly is the only one I know of that actually
            integrates all the infrastructure elements proposed in _Carfree
            Cities_, including high speed rail for long distance travel. The main
            flavour of the month seems - especially in many parts of North America
            - to be "walkability", which is really just a baby step away from "no
            mobility except by driving".

            I'm still curious about that building with the astonishing window
            pattern. Any idea what it is, or the story behind the windows (whose
            basic individual design appears on other buildings in the photos I
            have seen)?

            On 25-Mar-09, at 11:39 AM, Debra Efroymson wrote:

            > Hi all. I've been to Bhaktapur and have many photos. It is not
            > carfree but car-lite, the motorbikes are annoying but relatively
            > few, and (as Richard Register can also testify) it has many of the
            > makings of a great small city. In both Kathmandu and Bhaktapur I see
            > very young children moving around independently, a rare sight in
            > many Asian cities.

            Christopher Miller
            Montreal QC Canada