Bicyclists' Rights Triad

  • realcyclist4u
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
      Note to Christopher Miller: The next time you try to destroy a list by participating in the disruption of a thread on it to join in on unprovoked ad hominem attacks on Tom Frost as part of a promotion of how superior you and your buddy Mr. Crawford think the Carfree_Cities list is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carfree/message/19445 , confine it to the Carfree_Cities list.

      JK/TF
      -----

      BICYCLISTS' RIGHTS TRIAD:

      *************************
      BICYCLIST'S CODE OF CONDUCT -

      CYCLISTS SHALL ride in the same direction as the other
      vehicles on their side of the road.

      CYCLISTS SHALL obey traffic laws, including waiting at
      red lights at all times regardless of convenience.

      CYCLISTS SHALL not move sideways without first seeing
      that there's no overtaking traffic that will be
      surprised. If you use a rear-view mirror, remember it
      is not a substitute for knowing when to turn your
      head.

      CYCLISTS SHALL at night, use at least a headlight and
      rear reflector. A taillight is recommended in
      addition, but there are no substitutes for a headlight
      and rear reflector.

      CYCLISTS SHALL note that the above items are a partial
      list, to correct just the more common errors. When in
      doubt, ask, "What would I do if I were driving any
      other vehicle?"

      *************************
      MOTORIST'S CODE OF CONDUCT REGARDING BICYCLES -

      MOTORISTS SHALL scan the roads for all potential
      objects, not just big ones such as cars.

      MOTORISTS SHALL when entering a road, guard against
      underestimating the speed of a bicycle.

      MOTORISTS SHALL not automatically overtake in the same
      lane just because the vehicle they want to overtake is
      a bicycle. Cyclists are very often able to share their
      space with you as a courtesy, but this shall not be
      abused.

      MOTORISTS SHALL save their horn for emergencies and
      rural greetings. If they have something to say about a
      cyclist's driving, there are ways to say it other than
      by road rage.

      MOTORISTS SHALL note that the above items are a
      partial list, to correct just the more common errors.
      When in doubt, ask, "What would I do if I were
      interacting with any other vehicle"?

      *************************
      BICYCLIST'S BILL OF RIGHTS AND DUTIES -

      A bicycle is a vehicle. Therefore, a bicyclist has the
      same rights and duties as any other vehicle operator.

      *************************
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
        Hi All,

        Sorry for the unpleasantness.

        Measures have been taken.

        Joel

        At 2009-03-04 19:20, you wrote:

        >Note to Christopher Miller: The next time you try to destroy a list by participating in the disruption of a thread on it to join in on unprovoked ad hominem attacks on Tom Frost as part of a promotion of how superior you and your buddy Mr. Crawford think the Carfree_Cities list is <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carfree/message/19445>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carfree/message/19445 , confine it to the Carfree_Cities list.
        >
        >JK/TF
        >-----
        >
        >BICYCLISTS' RIGHTS TRIAD:
        >
        >*************************
        >BICYCLIST'S CODE OF CONDUCT -
        >
        >CYCLISTS SHALL ride in the same direction as the other
        >vehicles on their side of the road.
        >
        >CYCLISTS SHALL obey traffic laws, including waiting at
        >red lights at all times regardless of convenience.
        >
        >CYCLISTS SHALL not move sideways without first seeing
        >that there's no overtaking traffic that will be
        >surprised. If you use a rear-view mirror, remember it
        >is not a substitute for knowing when to turn your
        >head.
        >
        >CYCLISTS SHALL at night, use at least a headlight and
        >rear reflector. A taillight is recommended in
        >addition, but there are no substitutes for a headlight
        >and rear reflector.
        >
        >CYCLISTS SHALL note that the above items are a partial
        >list, to correct just the more common errors. When in
        >doubt, ask, "What would I do if I were driving any
        >other vehicle?"
        >
        >*************************
        >MOTORIST'S CODE OF CONDUCT REGARDING BICYCLES -
        >
        >MOTORISTS SHALL scan the roads for all potential
        >objects, not just big ones such as cars.
        >
        >MOTORISTS SHALL when entering a road, guard against
        >underestimating the speed of a bicycle.
        >
        >MOTORISTS SHALL not automatically overtake in the same
        >lane just because the vehicle they want to overtake is
        >a bicycle. Cyclists are very often able to share their
        >space with you as a courtesy, but this shall not be
        >abused.
        >
        >MOTORISTS SHALL save their horn for emergencies and
        >rural greetings. If they have something to say about a
        >cyclist's driving, there are ways to say it other than
        >by road rage.
        >
        >MOTORISTS SHALL note that the above items are a
        >partial list, to correct just the more common errors.
        >When in doubt, ask, "What would I do if I were
        >interacting with any other vehicle"?
        >
        >*************************
        >BICYCLIST'S BILL OF RIGHTS AND DUTIES -
        >
        >A bicycle is a vehicle. Therefore, a bicyclist has the
        >same rights and duties as any other vehicle operator.
        >
        >*************************

        ----- ### -----
      • Simon Baddeley
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2009
          Thanks Joel

          Best wishes

          Simon B

          http://democracystreet.blogspot.com
          http://www.inlogov.bham.ac.uk/staff/baddeleys.htm

          From: "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...>
          Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:38:51 -0500
          To: <carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [carfree_cities] Bicyclists' Rights Triad

          At 2009-03-04 19:20, you wrote:

          >Note to Christopher Miller: The next time you try to destroy a list by
          participating in the disruption of a thread on it to join in on unprovoked ad
          hominem attacks on Tom Frost as part of a promotion of how superior you and your
          buddy Mr. Crawford think the Carfree_Cities list is
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carfree/message/19445>http://groups.yahoo.com/gro
          up/carfree/message/19445 , confine it to the Carfree_Cities list.

          >JK/TF
          >-----
          >
          >BICYCLISTS' RIGHTS TRIAD:
          >
          >*************************
          >BICYCLIST'S CODE OF CONDUCT -
          >
          >CYCLISTS SHALL ride in the same direction as the other
          >vehicles on their side of the road.
          >
          >CYCLISTS SHALL obey traffic laws, including waiting at
          >red lights at all times regardless of convenience.
          >
          >CYCLISTS SHALL not move sideways without first seeing
          >that there's no overtaking traffic that will be
          >surprised. If you use a rear-view mirror, remember it
          >is not a substitute for knowing when to turn your
          >head.
          >
          >CYCLISTS SHALL at night, use at least a headlight and
          >rear reflector. A taillight is recommended in
          >addition, but there are no substitutes for a headlight
          >and rear reflector.
          >
          >CYCLISTS SHALL note that the above items are a partial
          >list, to correct just the more common errors. When in
          >doubt, ask, "What would I do if I were driving any
          >other vehicle?"
          >
          >*************************
          >MOTORIST'S CODE OF CONDUCT REGARDING BICYCLES -
          >
          >MOTORISTS SHALL scan the roads for all potential
          >objects, not just big ones such as cars.
          >
          >MOTORISTS SHALL when entering a road, guard against
          >underestimating the speed of a bicycle.
          >
          >MOTORISTS SHALL not automatically overtake in the same
          >lane just because the vehicle they want to overtake is
          >a bicycle. Cyclists are very often able to share their
          >space with you as a courtesy, but this shall not be
          >abused.
          >
          >MOTORISTS SHALL save their horn for emergencies and
          >rural greetings. If they have something to say about a
          >cyclist's driving, there are ways to say it other than
          >by road rage.
          >
          >MOTORISTS SHALL note that the above items are a
          >partial list, to correct just the more common errors.
          >When in doubt, ask, "What would I do if I were
          >interacting with any other vehicle"?

          >BICYCLIST'S BILL OF RIGHTS AND DUTIES -
          >
          >A bicycle is a vehicle. Therefore, a bicyclist has the
          >same rights and duties as any other vehicle operator.

          J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
          mailbox@... <mailto:mailbox%40carfree.com>
          http://www.carfree.com