Announcement of World Streets. To go online on March 1 2009.

  • Eric Britton
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2009
      Paris, Monday, February 23, 2009

      Executive summary: Check it out at www.worldstreets.org

      Dear worldwide friends and colleagues,

      I am delighted to announce the creation of a new collaborative toolset under
      the New Mobility Agenda, The World Streets blog which you can find in its
      almost-ready-to-dance version today at www.worldstreets.org . Let me
      explain what this is, why we have done it, and how it works.

      Why: The basic idea is to create a much higher visibility public forum for
      some of the most outstanding contributions on problems and innovations that
      are coming in here from groups and colleagues around the world, bearing in
      mind that the messages we exchange with each other on The New Mobility Café
      or the other focus discussion groups are not only far too many in number but
      also hidden from public view -- that is to say are not picked up by Google
      or the other search engines. So this end, one of the jobs that World
      Streets is shortly ready to undertake will be to make this missing link.
      The issues too important and the stakes too high for us to give less than
      our very best.

      Getting started: Even if the site is still in working form, let me invite
      you to come on in and have a look for yourself. Once you have generally
      shopped around to get a feel for the place, you may find it useful to click
      your way down the small Table of Contents that appears on the top left bar
      -- we call it the Streets Map -- where you might wish to give particular
      attention to the Start Here and Subscribe links which provide useful
      information on how to work with this new tool.

      Comments: One of the goals I had in mind in putting this together was a
      desire to provide a better way of linking comments and conversations to
      specific pieces that start off the process of commentary, challenging,
      rectification, complaining, what have you. And even if we are careful in
      the existing discussion fora to try to maintain continuity in such exchanges
      through preservation of original subject lines, it is nonetheless my
      observation that it is difficult to turn this into not only a real dialogue,
      but one that later can be easily accessed by anyone who wishes to have a
      chance to figure out "what was all that about?". We clearly need to do
      better and now we have the tools to do exactly that. (You will see how the
      new Comment routine works in the Start Here section.)

      Translations: One area in which we are trying hard to mobilize the available
      tools to broaden the international reach of all this good work is through
      the incorporation of machine translations directly into the site. Thus when
      you check-in you will see right up top that there are machine translation
      links which will almost immediately transform the text of the entire site
      into French, German, Italian, Portuguese, or Spanish with just a single
      click. Moreover as you will see these translations are certainly not
      perfect, nonetheless they do provide valuable clues concerning the original
      image language text. But all of that you will see in the explanatory
      information that appears in the site itself.

      Postings: All items that appear on World Streets are for now being
      automatically copied to the New Mobility Café and to the World Transport
      Forum, so that those who have not subscribed directly will be able to follow
      the state of play. Eventually this cross-posting routine may be changed,
      but for now it seems like a good way to get started and to share the news.

      Future contributions: You will note that there are careful guidelines on
      this on the site. I should mention that it is our firm intention to stick
      to the main criteria that characterize all of the work of the New Mobility
      Agenda which are carefully set out under www.strategies.newmobility.org and
      in particular the dogged insistence on our full attention to measures,
      projects, programs, and other initiatives which can bear fruit of
      significant GHG reductions within the 2009-2012 horizon.

      Feedback and suggestions: You will see that considerable additional work is
      going to be needed to turn it into the easy-to-use, creative to work with
      site that we hope it will eventually become. Just as is the case with
      content where I hope we will be hearing from you with your ideas, it will
      also be invaluable at this early point to have your criticism and
      suggestions as to how we can make this into a better site for us all.

      Supporting World Streets: Finally, if you might have any suggestions as to
      institutions or even individuals who might wish to get involved to provide
      financial or technical support for World Streets, well this would be the
      perfect time to hear from you.

      So welcome to World Streets, it belongs to all of us and will be just as
      good as all of us can make it. We will open for business on 1 March, but in
      the meantime let me invite you in already to look around and tell us how to
      do better.

      Hope you like it,

      Eric Britton

      PS. I hope you will feel more than free to share this announcement with
      colleagues in other lists who share our concerns and interests. Thank you.

      The New Mobility Agenda
      cid:image001.jpg@01C8DAF3.F7EBC130
      Technology transforms time and space
      . . . and our minds

      New Mobility Partnerships – <http://www.newmobility.org>
      http://www.newmobility.org
      & check out World Streets -- <http://www.Worldstreets.org>
      www.Worldstreets.org
      Europe: 8/10 rue Joseph Bara, 75006 Paris, France
      T: +331 4326 1323 or +339 7044 4179 Skype: ericbritton
      USA: 9440 Readcrest Drive Los Angeles, CA 90210
      T: +1 310 601-8468 Skype : newmobility