Re: [carfree_cities] bike parking for residential buildings

  • heller@worldcarfree.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
      Hi Elizabeth,

      I`d recommend the new carfree development in Cologne (www.stellwerk60.de). This quarter has *excellent* bike facilities.
      Please check the website of the local residents in this quarter for pictures:
      http://www.nachbarn60.de/index.php?id=108

      Also, they have a mobility service station there
      http://www.nachbarn60.de/index.php?id=44
      where one can rent, for example, some bike carriages:
      http://www.nachbarn60.de/index.php?id=127

      Markus

      Carfree Living Berlin Collaborative
      www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
        I don't know how much available outdoor space you had, but I once saw
        a great idea at a residence hall in Tallahassee: a "bike cage".

        This was a fenced enclosure on the side of the building with several
        bike racks in it and a self-closing, self-locking door. Residents with
        bikes would get a key and could lock their bikes to racks inside the cage.

        The big problem: it was extremely overcrowded, with bikes even locked
        to the fence itself. The building management probably didn't want to
        invest into expanding the size of the cage, and there was also a good
        chance that departing residents would abandon bikes to stay forever
        locked up in the cage. The solution to this would be to require the
        tenants to register their bikes, and tell them that if they move out
        and don't take their bike with them, you'll remove the lock with an
        angle grinder and donate the bike.

        As nice as the bike cage idea was, I'd offer these improvements:

        - Put a roof over it. This would prevent fence-jumping and, more
        importantly, protect the bikes from direct rainfall.

        - Put visitor bike parking right outside the cage so visitors won't
        lock their bikes to the fence itself.

        - Use a vinyl-coated chain-link fence, or better yet, wrought iron.
        IMHO, outside of athletic fields, galvanized chain-link fences have no
        place in urban environments.

        All the apartments I've lived in have had outdoor bike parking, and
        I've always forgone it in favor of parking my bike inside. I'd have
        been happy to park my bike in a cage, and my vacuum cleaner would have
        thanked me.

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Trice <etrice2@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        > Can anyone send me examples or pictures of bike parking that's been
        built into an apartment building? I need to find a good way to store
        25+ bikes for residents in a building I'm helping to rehab.
        > Elizabeth Trice
        > Portland, Maine
      • Matt Hohmeister
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
          This thought just came to me: if you want to provide a really nice
          amenity for the tenants with bikes, provide a small, cleared area in
          the bike cage for tire inflation. An air hose would come out of the
          side of the building, allowing residents to inflate bike tires in seconds.

          The only caveat: you'd want a belt-driven air compressor, which would
          run several hundred dollars. Direct-drive air compressors are quite
          loud. The compressor could go anywhere in the building; most likely in
          the nearest utility room.