Re: [carfree_cities] bike parking for residential buildings

  • Christa Clark-Jones
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
      Hi there,

      I once lived in an apartment building with 16 official spots for bicycles on
      the first floor. While the parking was sufficient, I would actually
      recommend this excellent bike parking garage as seen in Odense, Denmark:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/carfreeworldview/3038278805/in/set-72157609477845436/.
      Also note that the parking garage played music to make residents feel safe.
      ;)

      Christa
      shoesonmybike.com <http://shoesonmybike.wordpress.com/>

    • heller@worldcarfree.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
        Hi Elizabeth,

        I`d recommend the new carfree development in Cologne (www.stellwerk60.de). This quarter has *excellent* bike facilities.
        Please check the website of the local residents in this quarter for pictures:
        http://www.nachbarn60.de/index.php?id=108

        Also, they have a mobility service station there
        http://www.nachbarn60.de/index.php?id=44
        where one can rent, for example, some bike carriages:
        http://www.nachbarn60.de/index.php?id=127

        Markus

        Carfree Living Berlin Collaborative
        www.autofrei-wohnen.de/homeEngl.html

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
          I don't know how much available outdoor space you had, but I once saw
          a great idea at a residence hall in Tallahassee: a "bike cage".

          This was a fenced enclosure on the side of the building with several
          bike racks in it and a self-closing, self-locking door. Residents with
          bikes would get a key and could lock their bikes to racks inside the cage.

          The big problem: it was extremely overcrowded, with bikes even locked
          to the fence itself. The building management probably didn't want to
          invest into expanding the size of the cage, and there was also a good
          chance that departing residents would abandon bikes to stay forever
          locked up in the cage. The solution to this would be to require the
          tenants to register their bikes, and tell them that if they move out
          and don't take their bike with them, you'll remove the lock with an
          angle grinder and donate the bike.

          As nice as the bike cage idea was, I'd offer these improvements:

          - Put a roof over it. This would prevent fence-jumping and, more
          importantly, protect the bikes from direct rainfall.

          - Put visitor bike parking right outside the cage so visitors won't
          lock their bikes to the fence itself.

          - Use a vinyl-coated chain-link fence, or better yet, wrought iron.
          IMHO, outside of athletic fields, galvanized chain-link fences have no
          place in urban environments.

          All the apartments I've lived in have had outdoor bike parking, and
          I've always forgone it in favor of parking my bike inside. I'd have
          been happy to park my bike in a cage, and my vacuum cleaner would have
          thanked me.

          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Trice <etrice2@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          > Can anyone send me examples or pictures of bike parking that's been
          built into an apartment building? I need to find a good way to store
          25+ bikes for residents in a building I'm helping to rehab.
          > Elizabeth Trice
          > Portland, Maine
        • Matt Hohmeister
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2009
            This thought just came to me: if you want to provide a really nice
            amenity for the tenants with bikes, provide a small, cleared area in
            the bike cage for tire inflation. An air hose would come out of the
            side of the building, allowing residents to inflate bike tires in seconds.

            The only caveat: you'd want a belt-driven air compressor, which would
            run several hundred dollars. Direct-drive air compressors are quite
            loud. The compressor could go anywhere in the building; most likely in
            the nearest utility room.