Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Modelling Cities in 3d with Google Sketchup (Free)

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
      Spencer said:

      >I have just started using Sketchup and am a big fan of the software
      >and Joel's vision of a car free city. My view is that means NO cars.
      >Pleople walk, wheel, cycle or travel by train.
      >I would be very interested in starting up a group/community to bring
      >his vision to 'life' in 3D using Sketchup.
      >Anyone else interested or knowing of an already similar project then
      >please post.

      I've been thinking about this project for more than ten
      years. Part of the work was done recently by Procedural,
      a Swiss outfit that released software to construct detailed
      virtual cities. (The film industry is very interested.)
      The stuff costs $7000. There's a free 30-day trial. I'm
      waiting until the decks are clear, so that I can spend
      every minute of 30 days with it.

      I want to automate the process, with a page or two of inputs
      that allow you to specify a whole range of parameters along
      with the range of random variation for each parameter. Each
      time you press the button you get a different city, even with
      the same inputs.

      Outputs would include 2D and later 3D graphics plus a thorough
      statistical summary of the result, including resource inputs
      required to build and operate the city.

      http://www.procedural.com/

      http://www.nlynch.com/pages/47/procedural_city_builder/

      http://www.3daet.com/pages/805/l-system_city/

      So, yeah, consider me interested.

      Best,

      Joel

      ----- ### -----
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
        Hi again,

        Add to links on this:

        http://www.gamesitb.com/SurveyProcedural.pdf

        Best,

        Joel

        ----- ### -----
      • spenniec
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 15, 2009
          Very intersting!
          The ability to use procedural methods to generate streets and
          buildings would certainly save a lot of time.
          I'll download the software this evening.
          $7000 certainly puts it out of the reach of a community to purchase.
          They have some pretty good press, however it looks like a new product
          and there's nothing like a good showcase of what your product can do
          along with some great publicity which could definitely be generated.
          What are the thoughts on sending them an email asking for an unlimited
          copy for free? They'll want assurances that we aren't going to spread
          it around the internet or benefit from it commercially, purely for it
          to showcase a vision of post car cities.
          If you don't ask, you don't get :-)

          cheers
          Spencer