Re: big three bailout

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2008
      Are you kidding? I'm trying to find a group [aside from UAW or any
      other Detroit puppets] that actually supports the bailout.

      I saw a recent poll show public support for the Detroit bailout at 61%
      opposed. I'd love to know what these other 39% think. Is the
      "constitutional right to a large SUV" crowd still active or something?

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Trice <etrice2@...>
      wrote:

      > Does anyone know of any national groups working to make sure that
      any bailouts or massive infrastructure work plans are NOT car-oriented?
      > Elizabeth Trice
      > Portland, Maine
    • kyle3054
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2008
        "Matt Hohmeister" <matt@...> wrote:

        > Are you kidding? I'm trying to find a group [aside from UAW or any
        > other Detroit puppets] that actually supports the bailout.
        >
        > I saw a recent poll show public support for the Detroit bailout at 61%
        > opposed. I'd love to know what these other 39% think. Is the
        > "constitutional right to a large SUV" crowd still active or something?

        The Daily Show's Jon Stewart commented that it was strange that
        Congress could find $700 billion for people who provided car loans,
        but couldn't find $35 billion for people who provided the actual cars.

        At least when a manufacturer goes broke you have a tangible product
        afterwards; when a bank goes broke you're left with nothing.

        So I would support a bailout of the car makers only to the extent that
        if you're going to bail anyone out, it should be those who make
        things. But really I would prefer they bail no-one out. I would let
        the carmakers die, then buy up and retool the factories, and rehire
        and retrain the workers to make trains and trams and buses and wind
        turbines and that sort of thing.

        Cheers,
        Kyle
        http://greenwithagun.blogspot.com/
      • she4bikes
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 19, 2008
          Love this one, Kyle. Our county (San Luis Obispo, California)
          will soon cut our only county wide transit service (RTA)
          to fewer hours. Hopefully they won't take the whole service.
          The decision makers never ride the transit, and could
          give a hoot if it makes it our not. They and most county
          residents only care about their cars.

          -Sheila

          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "kyle3054" <KyleSchuant@...>