Re: Crowd-Source a Car-Free Documetary?

  • carfreeworldview
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2008
      Chris,

      I think you have some wonderful ideas. Thank you for sharing.

      I have been willingly car-free for almost a year now. It has a been a
      wonderful experience and I never want to own a car again. On
      reflection, the decision to sell my car was brought on by my
      submersion to the Davis (California) culture: small town living with a
      central and walkable downtown, bicycle-friendly, and environmentally
      conscious community. I also studied sustainable cities in Europe in
      summer of 2007.

      In late 2007, I made a short video to promote bicycle infrustructure
      and design. It won the Fit-City Competition sponsored by the Oxford
      Health Alliance. My prize was a trip to Sydney, Australia to
      participate in an international public health conference. :)
      (http://www.green.tv/abicyclestory)

      ---

      "What are the impediments to living a car-free lifestyle", and "What
      would it take to overcome those impediments and get the average
      motorist to step out of their car on a regular basis".

      ---

      From my own culture change experience, I think that it is most
      important to frame the car-free lifestyle in a positive way.
      Demonstrate that a car-free lifestyle results in a high quality life.
      Make it cool.

      I'm currently developing a car-free lifestyle promotion project:
      CarFreeLifestyle.com. Basic description: "Every day is different
      when you are car-free. Share your car-free experiences and inspire
      others to try the lifestyle. What's your next adventure?"

      Promotional videos:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHh3aAG-YuQ
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Esj6mWDD0

      Eventually I envision the stories complied into a book or other
      promotional media. My hope is that this will increase car-free
      lifestyle awareness and promote culture change.

      Certainly a documentary would help too. Let me know if I can help
      with it. :)

      Might anyone else here have ideas/direction for my CarFreeLifestyle
      project? Please let me know how I can help you too.

      Cheers,

      Christa

      San Diego, Ca
      805-766-1648