Crowd-Source a Car-Free Documetary?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2008
      I wanted to post this question to this list to tap into the expertise
      and wisdom that I've been reading for a couple of years now.

      My name is Chris Holt and I run a website (www.scaledown.ca)
      dedicated to furthering the discussion of making my hometown
      (Windsor, Ontario - across the river from Detroit) a livable,
      walkable city. Windsor's also known as the "Automotive Capital of
      Canada" and currently experiencing the worst economic outook in our
      history, which makes my project even more poiniant.

      I am at the beginning of a 12 month "experiment" where I'm filming
      the transition of a young family (myself and my two kids) going from
      an autocentric lifestyle to a carfree one. We're using this
      springboard to examine our cultures devotion to the automobile and
      the ramifications and costs (social, economic and health-wise) of
      that devotion. Somewhere in there I would also like to highlight my
      communities reliance on the ever increasing sales of cars and the
      unsustainability of that fact (Windsor is the birthplace of Ford
      Canada, just celebrating 100 years, as well as being home to a few
      Chrysler and GM plants as well) Personally, I am a fouth generation
      Ford worker (in my family since 1914) who is on indefinite layoff.

      I would like to tap into the collective conscience of the car-free
      movement to make this a great film. I am also toying with the
      possibilities of making this a "crowd-sourced" project, utilizing the
      experience of scholars and activists around the world to "build" this
      film together. I am especially interested in highligting successful
      communities and how they have moved toward more of a pedestrian-
      centred transpotation system.

      The questions I would like to see this film address, among others,
      are "What are the impediments to living a car-free lifestyle",
      and "What would it take to overcome those impediments and get the
      average motorist to step out of their car on a regular basis".

      I'll leave it there to hopefully discuss with this list further. If
      you are interested in sending me a note off-list, please feel free to
      at chris@...

      Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

      Chris Holt
      www.scaledown.ca
      ScaleDown Radio, 91.5 FM

      PS If there are any Toronto-area activists/scholars reading this, I
      will be in Toronto from Dec 9 - 11th discussing the project with the
      CBC. I will also be collecting some footage as well, and would be
      interested in meeting up with you.
    • carfreeworldview
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2008
        Chris,

        I think you have some wonderful ideas. Thank you for sharing.

        I have been willingly car-free for almost a year now. It has a been a
        wonderful experience and I never want to own a car again. On
        reflection, the decision to sell my car was brought on by my
        submersion to the Davis (California) culture: small town living with a
        central and walkable downtown, bicycle-friendly, and environmentally
        conscious community. I also studied sustainable cities in Europe in
        summer of 2007.

        In late 2007, I made a short video to promote bicycle infrustructure
        and design. It won the Fit-City Competition sponsored by the Oxford
        Health Alliance. My prize was a trip to Sydney, Australia to
        participate in an international public health conference. :)
        (http://www.green.tv/abicyclestory)

        ---

        "What are the impediments to living a car-free lifestyle", and "What
        would it take to overcome those impediments and get the average
        motorist to step out of their car on a regular basis".

        ---

        From my own culture change experience, I think that it is most
        important to frame the car-free lifestyle in a positive way.
        Demonstrate that a car-free lifestyle results in a high quality life.
        Make it cool.

        I'm currently developing a car-free lifestyle promotion project:
        CarFreeLifestyle.com. Basic description: "Every day is different
        when you are car-free. Share your car-free experiences and inspire
        others to try the lifestyle. What's your next adventure?"

        Promotional videos:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHh3aAG-YuQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Esj6mWDD0

        Eventually I envision the stories complied into a book or other
        promotional media. My hope is that this will increase car-free
        lifestyle awareness and promote culture change.

        Certainly a documentary would help too. Let me know if I can help
        with it. :)

        Might anyone else here have ideas/direction for my CarFreeLifestyle
        project? Please let me know how I can help you too.

        Cheers,

        Christa

        San Diego, Ca
        805-766-1648