Las Catalinas - (Nearly) Car Free town under development in Costa Rica

  • chasbrew
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2008
      I wanted to make this group aware of a project I am working on in
      Costa Rica. It is intended to be a seaside resort town. There is a
      public road that passes through the town, which will have vehicles.
      But beyond that our intention is to make it largely car-free. New
      Urbanist designers and architects have been very much involved in the
      work to date. Frankly from their point of view I am rather extreme
      in my anti-car tendencies! Anyway I thought that you in this group
      might find the project of interest and might have some thoughts to
      offer. I hope that we can create quite a remarkably wonderful place
      here. And the fact that it is a resort town, rather than a regular
      work-a-day town, I believe gives us some extra degrees of freedom in
      trying some things (such as restrictions on car use)that would be
      harder to do in another setting.

      We don't have an real website up yet but I created a little site here
      where you can find some basic information:

      http://lascatalinas.wordpress.com/

      We also have a work-group site where we carry on some interesting
      discussions about various design issues. That one is password
      protected so if you have an interest in getting access there let me
      know.

      Cheers,

      Charles Brewer
      Managing Member, Las Catalinas

      PS - I don't use my yahoo account for email so better to post here if
      you want to get in touch with me.