No Auto Industry Bailout, Support Henry Waxman

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2008
      =v= Congress, and especially Nancy Pelosi, are working hard on
      an American auto-industry bailout. There's word of a European
      auto-industry bailout that would follow in its wake.

      =v= So far I haven't seen any enviro group step up to the plate
      to oppose this. Credo, however, has just recently set up a web
      page for Americans to email our Congressional representative
      (e.g. Pelosi) to demand support for Harry Waxman rather than a
      climate change-denier from General Motors, and it has wording
      to suggest not bailing out the auto industry. You can add your
      own words about not bailing out the auto industry (I did).

      =v= The URL for this page is below, embedded in a form letter.
      <_Jym_>

      =------------8<-------------Cut-Here-------------8<------------=

      Subject: We need real solutions to fight climate change.

      Dear Friend,

      Global climate change is perhaps the greatest challenge of our
      generation. What we do (or don't do) affects not only our
      nation, but the world. You might thank that, with a new
      president poised to take office, we're in a great position to
      take serious action to address climate change. Unfortunately, a
      grizzled legislator named John Dingell, known as the
      "Congressman from General Motors," is standing in our way.

      The most important pieces of legislation addressing climate
      change must pass through the House Energy and Commerce
      Committee. As chair of that committee, Congressman Dingell has
      exerted his power time and again to kill bills that could roll
      back global warming. Dingell has lined his campaign war chest
      with millions of dollars of contributions from electric, oil and
      coal companies. His wife (and potential successor to his
      Congressional seat) is a senior executive at General
      Motors. What's more, until recently, he wouldn't even admit that
      climate change was a real threat.

      I just signed a petition calling on my member of Congress to
      vote for Congressman Henry Waxman (a staunch environmentalist)
      to replace Dingell as the Energy and Commerce Chair -- I hope
      you will too.

      Please have a look and take action.

      http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/energy_chair/?r_by=1512-713673-5Asfujx

      Thanks!